usable art: great gift idea

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my friend Megan is a clay and glass craftswoman who has some beautiful pieces up for sale coming into the holiday seasons. you can check some of her work out here.

i know a lot of you have already opted out of the insanity of industrial Christmas, but if you have people you HAVE to buy for, then i highly suggest looking into handcrafted home goods- you can probably find artists local to you to buy from as well.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those are lovely! My DH works with clay - though he sculpts, rather than pots - and we have a number of pieces from potters at the clay studio he frequents. It is a great way 'round the "made in China" syndrome.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
It is a great way 'round the "made in China" syndrome.
exactly! i love special fancy dishes but i prefer not to buy the same old stuff that everyone else has from the store. this way i get stuff that's ethically made, unique, and i'm supporting local craftspeople which keeps money in my community!

i'm going to Atlanta for a visit next weekend and i can't wait to pick out my pieces! i REALLY love those bee mugs.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny you should bring up pottery, I have been taking a class and making Christmas presents for people this year.
She does beautiful work and now I realize why potters charge what they do, hours go into each piece of art.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i know! :drool

ALL of the bee mugs she has have ALREADY been claimed at the gallery, and that's just from people seeing the press release and calling an early order in!

she said she didn't realize they would be so popular, so she's going to make a bunch more so i can grab some. if you like them, you can email her and she'll give you a quote and let you know when they might be available.