USDA announces it is dropping NAIS

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I read the whole article this time. All I get out of it is the old VOLUNTARY system is scraped. Now it is up to the states to start a program until the Feds can come up with a new progam. Which probably won't be VOLUNTARY.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Considering how "voluntary" the voluntary program was......I shudder to think of what they will come up with for a mandatory program. :hide

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
agreed when we moved we caught flack for not caring for our animals properly by neighbor ( which we found out lived three miles away which frankly I don't think counts as neighbors.) But anyway they could care less that we moved from a farm that had two barns a huge chicken coop and area. And have very well cared for and fed animals. All they saw was our herd of goats in one small pasture and three horses ( one that was very sick and there to spend his days in peace til he passed) in another small pasture with no shelter. IT was mid summer and we were in the middle of moving us, all our posessions and our animals onto completely bare land. A place we could build our dream farm on our land yada, yada, yada you get the idea.

I came home one afternoon to find a stranger in my mom's yard, which our pasture borders, counting my animals and taking notes. When asked who they were and what they were doing there I simply got told, you can't have your animals like this. I looked right at her informed her that I knew the local animal control officer personally, and she had just asked me the week before to call her when we got our new farm set up if I was able to take in any goats or such that she came across. The lady just looked at me, like I hit her in the face with a board. Needless to say a threat to then call the states ran her off.

After some asking around I found out that it was some one that drove our road to work every day and lived no where near us.

Personally I think that situations like this are going to push this thing along against us on small scales and just trying to raise our families with some of the old time values for where your food comes from and what it takes to get it. Even though they say it is dead. When it comes to backyard small scale farms people are much more likely to jump to conclusions then to walk up to you and ask their questions. Like they say it will start with the animals then the kitchens you can or process meat in, that gardens you grow food to feed your family in. Never mind the fact the fokes they should be looking at have huge commercial farms, not back yard hobby farms.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It's not over,it will be renamed, revamped and pushed through on the sly.....just wait and see. They are not done with this. :/
No, it's dead. There will be a system, but it won't be a tracking system and won't involve visiting people's farms or counting their animals.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
n24688168604_9883.jpg

"Ok People! Move along! Nothing to see here!"

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just think there are plenty of things that are happening to worry about without fretting over something maybe some day might happen if the right people get so inclined.