Usda asking to register your garden....wth?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's basically a government-supported Food is Free movement from what I can tell?

501c3

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like the story of The Little Red Hen. Nobody wanted to help prepare the ground, plant the seed, weed the garden, pick the food, cook it, but ALL were ready to eat it. And she said NO.

So I'm supposed to do all the work, be registered with the gooberment, who no doubt will send all sorts of nefarious people to traipse around on my land for a free handout. Maybe even regulate how much of MY food I'm allowed to keep, Nope. The majority won't even prepare it to put it in the freezer, they only want RIGHT NOW and no consideration for tomorrow. What a country of selfish people we have slid off into.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cities with vacant lots should offer those areas, within their designated "food desert" areas and have local residents work the gardens, supervised by local ag dept people. Reap what you sow!

There used to be a low security prison in the general area of Hampton Roads that was a farm. The. Inmates raised fields of crops, some hogs & chickens during their time there. It supplied most jails with food back then, plus food banks. Then, they developed "work release".... Farming over. Shame. Lotta food for those food banks

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wisconsin has a large farm for inmates to work at. They run a dairy that supplies milk to Wisconsin and Minnesota correctional institutions. Have been doing the farm for many, many years.

I think the USDA program is set up by naive people with the good intention of using the sites as an educational tool to help and inspire the populous to learn how to grow their own food. These people do not look at the big picture and realize that there are so many out there that are looking for the easy way out and will use the registration as a map to places where they can take all they can - whether they are going to use it or not.

When I was growing up, a small group of bored teenagers raided a garden on the edge of town and stole most of the tomatoes; then went across town and threw tomatoes at all the vehicles in the car dealership parking lot.

Talking to a guy a couple of years ago, he used to have chickens and sold eggs at an "On Your Honor" roadside stand. Just an old fridge next ot his driveway with cartons of eggs and a cash box. He said it worked very well for years, then people started to take without paying. He let it slide as enough people were paying that he wasn't losing money, just not making any either. One day some young men (around 18-20 years old) stole all the eggs and emptied the cash box. They got caught about 10 miles away throwing eggs at vehicles passing on the highway. Cop was checking out a complaint and when he drove past, they egged his squad car - brilliant.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One year, a group of us potted up seedlings of a variety of veggies in six-packs (ex: 2 tomatoes, a cucumber, a zucchini, and 2 pole beans) to be given to people getting food from the local Food Bank. The idea was to encourage people to plant at least a little bit of a garden to help with their food needs. People didn't have to accept them if they didn't want them, but most people accepted them. We were so excited, until we found most of them had been thrown into the dumpster outside....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were so excited, until we found most of them had been thrown into the dumpster outside....
Sad but so very evident that a great majority of the people don't/won't participate in a garden, community or personal. Too easy to obtain free food without any work or responsibility. Waste and healthy choices -- ya don't want to get me started.🙄

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just remembered when the Covid lockdowns were in full swing, guess what foods flew off the shelves and what was left? Canned foods and frozen foods were GONE. Shelves were bare. Fresh vegetables were plentiful, nobody wanted to actually prepare a meal.

I guess if I grew the vegetables, picked, blanched and vacuum sealed, froze it, people would be glad to take it off my hands. Add bright and pretty package to that.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not only are too many that are just too da@#ed lazy to prepare food... but saying no politics on this... this is a way of government to have more control over things when the going gets rough. They will come in and confiscate.... just one more thing they can "hold against" you for whatever reason.
If I grow stuff and want to give it away, or put it all my in own freezer or can it all, or FEED it all to my chickens... that is my personal decision. If you grow it and the government thinks it is more than you should have next thing it will get taken for "redistribution".... This is coming if we don't get things back on to a track of people taking responsibility for themselves and having some initiative to do for themselves.

NOPE.... NONE of their business....
And I am sure not going to start giving to those that are too cotton picking lazy to try to grow their own like @FarmerJamie 's ex-wife's friend.... I remember reading about that... talk about thinking they are entitled.... and wanting someone else to do the work. Let 'em get hungry. That is what many in this world needs....

Latest posts