useful skills

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
oh wow, good topic!

Have:

1: Basic survival skills..hunting, preparing, sewing, making shelter,etc.

2: Basic carpentry skills...can use hand tools and if I think about things long enough, buid it once without tearing it apart and starting over 5 times, lol

3: Calm in a crisis. I can usually stay calm, and can handle taking charge in a crisis...heck, sometimes I do it without trying, thus making some people really mad. :/ That comes from the military training, I guess.

4: Love to stay busy/get dirty...I can garden, dig, hunt, etc. I like to have a list o' things to do each day and feel accomplished when the day is done.

5: Basic first aid...I was told once that there are 101 uses for a safety pin...I'll let you count them all, lol

Need:

1: The ability to have patience with many things...I tend to work too fast, or expect the same work ethic from others.

2: THe skill in tanning hides for ...well, anything useful.

3: The skill in herbology....knowing what to eat, what to use, (this goes for wood, identifying trees for tools, etc) and how to use it both for medicinal as well as eatable, lol (is that a word?)

4: Following or paying attention to the phases of the moon/stars/seasons for planting, weaning, gathering, etc.

5: I can cook rather well with a limited amount, but would like to learn more with the 'wild' things

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would be the one eating someone on the island first...LOL

basic skills I have for farming and taking care of oneself if things fail. I am the type "that can make it". I am calm in disasters after my initial looney crazy minute, but after, I go into killer mode to fix whatever the situation.

I have no patience either for others that don't jump when I say jump....working on that..LOL...getting better finally too. Fiercely independent so no one will tell me how to survive, I do it my way.....

wish I had more electrical knowledge, small machine knowledge etc. I am scared of electricity. I even hate plugging in the toaster..LOL But Tony has all that knowledge so as a team we would do well together. If he croaked off, oh boy, I would have to find a new man that could fill the position.....LOL

Can't sew worth a lick. No patience for it at all....so I would trade or barter if necessary for those items. There is always a way to get thru all disasters or whatever. Many have done it before us and many will do it after.

good thread.....this forum is jumping! :}

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Great topic!

Possess:

cooking skills with little/different/wild ingredients, ability to cook on variety of heat sources-open fire, woodstove, even cooked a meal in a tin can before, and have built and used a solar cooker.

Can hunt and fish, including gutting and fileting fish, and cleaning some birds. Can do other animals with help.

Know all about foraging wild edibles.

Have basic sewing skills, basic first aid skills.

Know how to live minimally. ie--w/o power, running water (ya Beekissed--done lotsa "camp showers" before too. :)

Need:

usually I am a helper with building things. need to develop better skills for repairing/building things

The physical ability to be able to do really heavy work. If I did hard work on a consistent basis, it wouldn't be much of a problem (arthritis) :mad:

Need the knowledge and experience to fix mechanical things.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool thread. Never gave much thought to what basic skills I lack - Like:
tanning leather
sewing
Foraging for edibles
Starting a fire without a lighter or matches
milking an animal

I better stop. I'm starting to scare myself!

On the plus side:
I can hunt and fish- with a bow no less/ make my own arrows
garden and can
build a shelter
use and sharpen hand tools
read a map compass
ride a horse

OK I'm starting to feel a little better.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm not sure how useful but I can make and repair leather goods including a harness. So I suppose I could make shoes- I have made shearling products for winter, have a good knowledge of tools. I can garden. Sew, preserve food. I can bandage anything (from years of having horses hurt themselves.) I have lots of how to books. I have made shelves, sheds- have strung fence and baled hay. I have learned a lot of health things with goats. And have patched everything from jeans to horse trailers.
Bad is that I have never shot a real pistol or other gun.

PS I forgot to add that I can give a shot to a 1000 lb animal on the move or a little squirmy kid (goat kind-lol.)

I forgot too- I can darn socks- thanks to Girl Scouts.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
enjoytheride
a great website for goat health problems and articles on how to fix every single thing with a goat is www.tennesseemeatgoats.com

When I started goat farming, this site was incredible with the knowledge and so easy to read. Articles written on every med they need to how to fix everything to how to diagnosis and how to handle kids, etc. etc. etc.

just for your info if needed.

scroll down right hand column to Articles and enjoy the reading..LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to tell all you that I am 100% sure that you all can do more than you think you can or have listed here. LOTS MORE.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I can garden, can & teach my children their schoolwork. I am capable of helping my dh with any building/repair project we would need to do. I can fish & hunt(now how to aim & shot a gun). Can butcher if I have to. Make do with what we have & make something out of nothing.

Need work in sewing(more practice), knitting & crocheting. Don't know how to butcher livestock(but can learn). Wood working skills are lacking also good thing dh is phenominal in that department.

Latest posts