Uses for acorns

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have tried the tannin removal methods and making the flour. MAYBE if I was starving o DEATH, then I would eat acorns and probably slugs as well. :sick

Free beat me to my best suggestion - PIGS! Mast fed pork is the bomb according to the gourmet world. SKR8PN 's wild animal bait works for me as well!

CandMonourown

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My husband and I were wondering what some uses for acorn "tannin" were. We have harvested, shucked, ground, boiled and strained two canning jars full of acorn tannin. We plan on attempting to "tan" a small amount of animal skin with it. Tought it would be a cool skill to have. But, as I said, we were wondering what else we could use the tannin for. The internets not too helpfull, just get acorn cooking tips! And yes, we know the tannin from the bark is more usefull for tanning hides, but dont want to accidentally kill any trees around my house.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm afraid the best we do here is spell out messages for the neighbor girl whose bus comes half an hour later than DS's. We wait for the bus at the end of their driveway. Not helpful, I know

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to stay off my leg a couple weeks ago and was reading all the online articles from Backwoods home and bookmarked the acorn story!
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html
Couldn't talk hubby into picking up acorns on the walk last Sunday! I guess he is afraid that I will feed him more strange and unusual stuff!:lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I usually pick them up by the bucket load, because I don't want them sprouting in my garden. I tried to feed them to my chickens, they would only eat them if I broke them up :rolleyes: SO uses them for turkey bait, I mean hea feeds the wild turkey with them sometimes. I also gave them to the neighbor and he said his goats love them. So I will feed some to my goats this winter.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One way to tell the "sweet' acorns from the tannin ones is watch the sqirrels. they bury the tannin ones because they keep for a long time. They eat the sweet ones right away because they don't keep.

Latest posts