Uses for buttermilk

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll tell you a funny story about buttermilk! My aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer with mets to the brain this past year...has led a horrible life nutritionally and just healthwise in general~smoked all her life. She was burping up fecal smelling gas and not able to eat anything even before she started chemo....then it just got worse from there.

Meanwhile, the only thing she could hold down or had a taste for was buttermilk. The only thing she consumed for months was buttermilk. The docs didn't think the chemo would help her because of how advanced her cancer was but they tried it anyway....but they, the docs, stated they feel that a miracle took place with her cancer and attributed it to her buttermilk consumption. Called it the Buttermilk Cure! :lol:

They can find no mets to her brain now and her lung ca sort of went into remission, she no longer burps fecal smelling gas nor has a bad taste in her mouth. She is starting to put on weight and looking better.

I don't think she is cured, by any means, but I can't deny that the buttermilk probably helped her digestive enzymes, gave her protein that she needed and kept her going when she couldn't eat anything else.

I'm lactose intolerant and buttermilk is the only dairy I can consume without repercussions. Weird, huh?

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Whoa Beekissed! That's positively spooky. And boo-yah for buttermilk!! :ya

In a cool cookbook called "Northwest Essentials", there's a recipe for making your own creme fraiche that calls for adding two tablespoons of buttermilk to one cup heavy cream. I'm going by memory here, but I think you just let it sit out at 70 degrees for about 12 hours or so and you've got some good stuff. It should be chilled for an hour or so before using, but then you should be good. By all means, check the recipe out before you try this, as this is just the basic idea.

Enjoy!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I will try that the next time I make butter at the dairy! I can bring home as much as I want.