Uses for wine bottles?

jellybeanme

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I hate throwing them away, they take a lot of trash space. We don't have recycling close enough to make that worthwhile. Anybody have any creative uses for them?

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to say it but make homemade wine. you can get corks online. Its easy to do and it tastes oh so gooooood :drool
P.S. I'm not a lush :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's actually amazingly inexpensive, too, once you get your basic equipment...and you really can do without a lot of stuff "they" say you must have. If you focus on country wines, all you pay for is sugar and yeast. Unless you have bees. Then you can use the honey.

Main equipment: A primary (bucket), a secondary (gallon glass narrow-necked jug), an airlock and drilled cork (about a buck each), and a little gizmo to insert the corks (about $6), and of course, the corks, and the price on those depends on quantity and fanciness. Oh, and some food-grade tubing to siphon with...know anyone in the medical field or someone who was really sick at one time who can give you a length of surgical tubing?

There are more gadgets that make it easier, but you really don't need them.

The problem comes when you get addicted to the process and you run out of secondaries and airlocks/corks and continue buying more, because the wine stays in the secondary for about five months. According to the instructions that I am using. One of my books says nine months, but I would have to build my collection of secondaries and airlocks and corks! :p

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with the others here, REFILL them :D Barring that, they clean up nicely and you can put things like powdered cocoa , baking mixes or flavored oils in them. Throw on a bow and some instruction and you have a cute little gift :)

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wine, or vinegar depending on how good you are at wine!! :lol:

Had a friend who saved them until she had like 30 of them and she upended them, bound them together with a pipe band from Home Depot and then turned the group upside down. She laid a clear plastic board over it and it is a beautiful coffee table. She was going to put the necks into a clay form but decided it would be too heavy. Besides 30 bottles is both stable and strong!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't remember where I saw it, so no pic....but I saw where someone had dug a small row and set them upside-down in it and used them to border a flower bed. With all the different sizes and colors, I thought it was neat.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Even if you don't feel up to making wine, you can fill them with homemade Kahlua or Bailies.

I have filled old beer bottles with beer bread mix. I suppose you could do the same with the wine bottles.