Using cloth diapers as feminine hygiene products

YogaMama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Right now, I'm cloth diapering my last child, and I have a ton of cloth inserts, that you use to help absorb more liquid. I was thinking that I would keep the inserts and try using them as pads, but I wasn't sure how it would work. I hate the idea of wasting the materials and money on feminine hygiene pads every month, and think that it could work. Has anyone tried it? I won't need anything for a few months (I don't ovulate while nursing), but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had any luck, before getting everything together!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They will work great, I used organic diapers for layers in mine that I sewed. Look up some patterns and use them accordingly.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

There's a big long thread on here called "how many use and appreciate" about using cloth, and many of us have done it for years--I say go for it since you already have something approximately the right shape. You can sew on tabs to snap/velcro around your panties and you'll be all set!

Just google "cloth menstrual pads" and your eyes will be opened to a whole new world, lots of patterns online plus lots of people on etsy (and right here on the forum) sell home made ones.

YogaMama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I actually have googled cloth menstrual pads, which is where I got the idea of using my old cloth diaper inserts. Never thought about sewing snaps to keep them in place. That's a great idea! Thanks for the help!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've used the squared ones that can be folded. So long as you have a clean new one for an outing, you should be fine. I'd wash them, in a similar manner as when my babies were needing them. An occasional soak in a whitening solution would be in order from time to time, if you plan on using them again later for their intended purpose. Most of the time, I'd take my bath in the evening and quietly put in all the pre-rinsed diapers in my used bath water and give them each a good washing, before putting them in the dirty laundry.

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is a wonderful Idea, so much money wasted on disposable pads. Cloth diapers inserts would work perfect and the snaps would be even better than the poorly sticking store bought disposables!

boys-mama

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had the idea to use some cloth diapers as wet-mop pads on our hardwood floors. I recently bought the "freedom" mop - where you add your own solution and reuse the velcro-backed scrub pad.
The micro-fiber on the cloth diapers sticks really well to the scratchy surface of the mop head back. So I tried it and it seemed to work great. (Just another idea).

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never had children, and no longer need to worry about sanitary pads, so take this for whatever you think it is worth. My mother swore by old, used, many times washed cloth diapers for washing windows. Almost lint free after so many washings, and very absorbent. She had a goodly number after my youngest brother no longer needed them, and I can remember using them for the windows well past the age when he stopped wearing them.

FranklinStreetWest

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you ever looked into menstrual cups? They are very hygienic and last for up to 10 years at a time. No need to spend time, money and resources on lots of washing. No disposables. I just got one, and I love it! It's comfortable and I can go all day without worrying about accidents!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a cup as well and love it! I use a cloth pad as back up.

Latest posts