Using the whole deer

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sdwolfden said:
most of the things that have been suggested I have thought of and done. Here a few other things that I have done. Some of the other entrails , such as lungs, stomach and instetines can be cleaned and used to feed omnivore livestock like chickens and pigs. We have done this for our chickens and they love it. Depending on how much work you want to put in, there are small bones in the fore legs of deer that can be used as sewing needles. The fat can be rendered down and used as base for soap or used for tallow candles. The hoofs can be cooked down and used as gelatin. The intestines CAN be cleaned and used as suasage casings but certain precautions need to be taken to make sure it is done right (I haven't tried that but have seen it done). The hair from the tail can be used to tie flys for fishing. Bones can be cut and make into buttons as can the antlers.

With all of the suggestion in this thread, we have only scratch the surface of the possilities of the use of a deer. Remember, the natives of the Great Lakes and Eastern U.S. used literal every part of the deer for their basic existance for centuries.
In my canning guide (All American manual) it says not to stew deer bones. For what it's worth...

A friend got another deer and this time I sawed off the ribs and froze them to give to the dog. Didn't have the presence of mind to save the lower legs to try making neets foot oil. And now I have 3 hides in the garage to tan. That will be an adventure. I'll start with the one that has the most holes.