1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Using what we have (goats, sheep, chickens)

Discussion in 'Everything Else Livestock' started by tortoise, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Feb 20, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I don't let them in there when crops are growing, just let them work the soil, wood chips, and leaves prior to planting in the spring, to remove pest bug larvae, and then again at the end of the garden season, to eat all the bugs and any rotten veggies they want.

They also get to work the area outside the garden fence all year, which most likely nets them many bugs that were headed to my garden. I also trap Jap beetles for them to eat.

When the soil warms up I'll turn over the compost around the apple tree saplings so they can grab up any grubs they can find there.

2. Mar 2, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

We had a lot of blackberries and our chickens got some of the low ones but it was a black bear that got most of them.

3. May 10, 2017
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Updating to share that my worries about my goat yelling when tethered were unfounded.

My goat comes to the gate, sticks his neck out and stands still for his collar, and walks away from his herd without protest. At the end of the day, he doesn't want to go back in the goat pasture!

Winning!