Using what we have (goats, sheep, chickens)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thread update! I'm dealing with the same situation "How do I make this situation function better?"

I have a yearling dairy goat buck. I trained him for staking him out (he doesn't yell). He is also lead trained and I'm envisioning training him to be a pack goat which would help me get out to the further garden and permie areas. Currently, I walk him a mile per day when the driveway is walkable and temperature above freezing. I hope to buy a dairy doeling this spring.

We are up to 8 sheep (including 1 meat wether), and we expect about 10 lambs this year.

I've learned how to use more eggs in my cooking. We're getting 1 - 2 dozen per week now and I'm not having trouble with excess eggs. I'm very proud of learning to use our eggs. My goal is to give away as few as possible. No sense in paying for chickens, not eating the eggs, and then paying for groceries too!

Hubby and I have settled into the separate chicken flocks. I have the barn flock, which is our Cornish dark rooster, buff rock hen group. I'm attempting deep litter in there and all our household compost goes in with them. I feed them expired dog food, cracked corn, crushed eggshell, and layer feed. Hubby takes care of the coop flock of purebred Rhode Island Red. He feeds them layer feed and deer fat (in winter), they free range when there's no snow.

I think I can get more use of my barn chickens if I put yard clippings and stuff in with them like Back to Eden style gardening suggests.

I have talked with hubby about raising a pig in the brushy hillside pasture were we have goats. He doesn't think our fence would hold a pig. I wonder if a pig can cohabitate with goats?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Beekissed - do you chickens damage your garden or eat berries? We worry about losing our harvest to the chickens.

I don't let them in there when crops are growing, just let them work the soil, wood chips, and leaves prior to planting in the spring, to remove pest bug larvae, and then again at the end of the garden season, to eat all the bugs and any rotten veggies they want.

They also get to work the area outside the garden fence all year, which most likely nets them many bugs that were headed to my garden. I also trap Jap beetles for them to eat.

When the soil warms up I'll turn over the compost around the apple tree saplings so they can grab up any grubs they can find there.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a lot of blackberries and our chickens got some of the low ones but it was a black bear that got most of them.