UTI- ***update***

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, I understand the ways you can get a uti and that they can possibly be spread especially in nursing homes, but that it is almost impossible at home. Especially since we all wash our hands and don't even share the same bathrooms, or even the same house as with the case of sil. I have had one now for over a week. It has never gotten bad, just annoying. DS now has one and also sil has been having problems with them for a couple of weeks. The only thing I can come up with is that we all bathe in well water from the same well. Ds and I both drink the water-sil buys drinking water. We all drink a good bit of water. Anyone else had this happen? Could it be the water or just a freak coincidence? We have upped our vitamin C and are all on cranberry and apple juice and AZO. Any other suggestions?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That is kind of weird. Can you test the well?

As for apple juice, that is pretty worthless. Just empty calories and sugar you don't need. Sugar suppresses the immune system. Cranberry juice CAN help, but it is usually loaded with sugar which negates the good benefits. I use cranberry PILLS. Those work for me.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You really need to go totally sugar and white flour free if you are going to treat it at home. Bacteria love to grow in the presence of sugar. You really don't want it to turn into a kidney infection. So skip the apple juice and chugalug the 100% PURE cranberry juice, the kind that is about $5-7 per quart and the only ingredient is...cranberry juice. No HFCS, no sugar, no other juices, etc. Just cranberry juice.

It will be very hard to choke down straight. I mix it with about 4 parts water (minimum) and plenty of stevia. I will try to drink a quart a day in about 4-5 quarts of water. Once you have had the infection for a week....you may need antibiotics.

Your situation with so many people having one puzzles me. I have no clue as to why. I'm pretty sure you won't get it from drinking the water...bathing or swimming in contaminated water, maybe, but drinking it? The bacteria should not survive the acidity of your stomach. Unless you are all on acid blockers or chow down on Tums, and that is unlikely, too. Are you sure you all have UTI's?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rare I get uti troubles but when I do

water

I drink only water and 50,000 gallons of it--so much water I float!
flushes out the bacteria very quickly for me and it works fast if u drink TONS of water lol

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes fairly certain. We all have the same symptoms such as needing to go all the time and burning when going. I think it is from bathing in the water since sil won't drink it. I am already paranoid of the water from the high table (well is less than 100 feet) and Louisiana's habitual flooding and all the houses around. Seems like it would lead to good conditions for contaminated well water. So I already have cranberry pills-take them with plenty of water then? Definately need to test the well and have a filter installed!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually it never even dawned on me that we have all been swimming in the creek! I wonder if that is it? It would make more sense!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have a question abot UTIs....what causes them?

My 19 yr old knows a girl who has 3 babies (2yrs and under!) and two of them had UTIs recently. One was only 1! The other was a hair over 2 yrs.
I have never had one and she did not know how they could get them....all I could think was sitting in wet diapers too long? But sheesh....I've never heard of a baby getting one.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do you and SIL use the same type of laundry soap?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Dace said:
I have a question abot UTIs....what causes them?

My 19 yr old knows a girl who has 3 babies (2yrs and under!) and two of them had UTIs recently. One was only 1! The other was a hair over 2 yrs.
I have never had one and she did not know how they could get them....all I could think was sitting in wet diapers too long? But sheesh....I've never heard of a baby getting one.
A friend of mine's little girls got them a lot especially when she was potty training. Her kids are very asthmatic prone as well.

I have only ever had one once in my life.... on my honeymoon. My DD's have never had one.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's an interesting Q.

I had never really thought of it but I used to get them as a child, carried through to young married. We used to live on/in well water with a high water table and swim in a creek/ponds. Sulfur, anyone? ;)

My mother said it was from drinking soda and/or not enough water. I haven't gotten one in quite some time. LOL I don't drink soda anymore either, but I'm not saying she was right.

I'd go with cranberry pills (check the labels, some are much better than others) or lots of the REAL juice as well. Ditto on the ditching if apple juice and cranberry cocktail. Drink LOTS of water. The only other thing I can think of offhand is an herb called Buccu, Buchu? Forget just how to spell it. Along with the cranberry it can be helpful. You could also take an herb to flush things out, like Uva Ursi, but if you're drinking all that water I would think you probably won't need it. And I always see awesome advice here on home remedies so I won't try to go further.

But as to the cause, it's interesting. I know the "usual" thought on spreading it, but thinking back I'm not sure why I got them so much as a younger person. My diet had too much sugar, including soda, yes. And yes, I'd say there was some pretty nasty swimming water involved. I've since wondered HOW my mother took me to some of those places and let me get in. We'd be striped in black, gooey mud coming out of the green, alligator-infested water. Ugh!

I DO hope you and your DS and SIL feel better soon!!! Take care of yourselves. :)