Vancouver Games...

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Hey, how about those Boston Bruins...! Well, the hockey games are over, and Boston's taking home the Stanley Cup...!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
bsolutely disgusting that they are rioting over this the way they are, destroying downtown Vancouver...
It is so bizzare that they would do this over a hockey game yet just sit in thier living rooms and complain about all the important issues, like the price of gas etc...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pretty bizarre. Of all the things to riot about. HOCKEY?!?!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Canadians take their hockey very seriously. I have seen perfectly normal ppl turn into a raving lunatics just watching hockey. Babies are spoon fed hockey from birth. Of course I am generalizing here, but the majority of ppl here, thier lives rotate around hockey. Kids are put in skates as soon as they learn to walk.

Thankfully, my hubby is not a sports fanatic, other than motor sports. But serioulsy, we were looked at strangely, like we were punishing our kids by not putting them into hockey when they were three.

However, what is going on over there, it is unbelievable to say the least. having your world rotate around hockey, and having your team lose aside, where is the self control and restraint and common sense.

Somehow, I am not surprised. honestly.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
It was a good series, I have to say, and I am not really a hockey fan (but SO grew up with Boston sports and loves all of it!).

I think they said on the news this morning that the last time Vancouver lost in the Stanley Cup playoffs the fans went on a rampage, too. You would think they would have planned on something like this.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Hockey is a pretty rough and tumble sport, i think it tends to draw a certain type crowd.I've gone to a couple Islander games here in ny, some of the people in the crowds are absolutely nuts...! Not to mention the players smashing out each other teeth..Soccer games can get that way to in south and central america.Some fans are extremely passionate and crazy about their teams, and sports riots have been around for a while..I guess some don't take their team losing lightly...!

efbjr

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
bsolutely disgusting that they are rioting over this the way they are, destroying downtown Vancouver...
It is so bizzare that they would do this over a hockey game yet just sit in thier living rooms and complain about all the important issues, like the price of gas etc...
I heard one report that said that the looting was well-organized in some areas. The theory was that it would have occurred win or lose, the hockey game demonstrations was just used as a cover for some pre-planned larceny. :(