Vanishing Business

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well also our "stationary cute" stores like Hallmark are all but gone here too.....who buys $7.99 cards anymore haha I get great cards at the dollar store for 2/$1

all stationary needed etc I go to Staples or something like that

alot of "specialty" stores are going by the wayside now.

Even a store like PetSmart is being smart....like Walmat "almost" offers one stop shop (get all your money from groceries to everything else)---now stores like PetSmart have all pet products, groomer inside, and vet on premises. geez hard for anything to compete nowadays

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have noticed there are no photo printing places here. I looked in the phone book, and there used to be a couple, but I called them and the numbers are disconnected. They do have 1-hour prints available at walgreens, cvs, etc, but most only have glossy prints.

Walmart is able to print in a matte/luster finish but the last time I was up there having a poster printed, the guy said that they are going to phase out the department. (At least at this store.) He wasn't sure when, but I really don't want to send out for posters. :(

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
(Sidenote to CJW: If you're looking for photo printing, you may want to call some local custom picture framers. Many of them are starting to diversify into photo printing so people can get their posters and frames in one place...)

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A few restaurants have closed their doors. I'll tell ya what though......the banks keep going up! That's gotta say something. Local businesses go under, but the damn banks are doing better than ever! :he

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
A few restaurants have closed their doors. I'll tell ya what though......the banks keep going up! That's gotta say something. Local businesses go under, but the damn banks are doing better than ever! :he
That's because they get money from the fed at 1% and invest it in the stock market instead of lending it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've thought about this for a while, and what if we were having this discussion years ago, the list I could think of as a kid was:

feed mill
tannery
boot shop
single pharmacist drug store

The village/small town I grew up in at one time had 4 car dealerships and now they have one used car lot. The number of bars has decreased too.

This decline has been going on for a long, long time. :(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to find a fabric store in the area. Someone did tell me about one. I went in it, didn't like their selection, and the prices were outrageous! I know there was one around the corner from us when I was a kid. They had a ton of the ends of bolts (my mind is blanking on me, and I can't recall what they're called now!), but you can't even find them around here now. There's one Wal-Mart that has some fabrics, as well as Jo-Annes, but that's it. And, neither has a good selection. :(

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bookstores
Fabric stores or variety stores with a fabric section
Our town has lost two large antique malls recently
Churches :(
Video stores
small independent restaurants
independent drug stores

Seem to be doing well..
banks, as mentioned
specialty kitchen stores
Goodwill is thriving in my area :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey there, welcome to SS!

Yeah, our Goodwill and "New to You" resale/consignment shop are thriving too.

We lost a nursery too DrakeMaiden, and a knife store, OH(!!) and my favorite BBQ joint went belly up. :/

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The pet store I work in has been around for...40+ years? It was owned by a guy who had a monkey that chased people around, LOL. At one time we had 3 stores, but closed the original and new one due to a split in ownership. The one I'm at now was expanded 10+ years ago, and now were bringing one of the walls back so it will be slightly smaller. We thought seriously of taking the space next to us, but that would put us at a size BIGGER then Petco! We are a well respected, small community store...too many negatives.

As long as no Petsmarts go in, were doing well :)

Btw, the space next to us was Hollywood video & game crazy.