The all time favorite at school...

Cheesy Tater Tot or Hash Brown Casserole

2 lbs. hamburger
1 10-oz can cream of mushroom soup
5 c. tater tots or shredded frozen hash browns
1 to 2 sm. onion, chopped
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown and drain hamburger. Add onion and cook until tender. Add soup to meat mixture. Place tater tots or hash browns in 9x13 greased casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes. Top with meat mixture. Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

Tater Tot Casserole

2 T dried diced onion
1 10-oz can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1 10-oz can chicken rice soup
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
3 c chopped cooked chicken
1 pound pkg tater tots

Mix first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken and tater tots. Stir.

Pour into greased baking pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Tater Tot Casserole with French Fried Onions

1 32-oz package frozen potato rounds
1 16-oz container sour cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 10-oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 6-oz can French-fried onions

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch-baking dish. Arrange tater tots in the prepared baking dish. In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cheese, and mushroom soup.
Pour this mixture over the tater tots. Sprinkle onions over the top of the casserole.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes

Tater Tot with Veggies Casserole

2 lbs. ground beef, browned & drained
1 10-oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 10-oz to 16-oz pkg. mixed vegetables
2 to 4 cups any grated cheese
1 10-oz can cream of chicken soup
1 pound pkg. tater tots

Press ground beef in bottom of casserole. Cover with 1/2 the mushroom soup. Layer vegetables, remaining mushroom soup, 1/2 the cheese, chicken soup and tater tots over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Those are the kind of 60's comfort foods so many of us grew up on. Hands down, kids love them and they are really home made, easy on the cook, fast food.

Today I look at the nutrition profile of Tater-tots, not a good thing, and compare the price of a bag of them vs. how many real potatoes I can buy for the same price. I have asked my kids, What is the true price in health and money that you are paying for your home made fast food?

You know I was going to say "old time" comfort foods, but these highly processed foods are not really old time in the scheme of things. I admit when my kids were little I served them these type of dinners, and I regret it today. I trained their taste buds to in the wrong ways for what I believe is good for them today.

BTW, my kids don't listen to me all the time about food choices, so just tune me out if tater tots are still OK in your book. If I have made any of you think twice for just a minute, good.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont think there is anything wrong with serving this type of meal on a night when mom just doesnt have time or feel like making a whole supper or maybe on a special "family night". As long as other nights are good healthy suppers, besides kids are going to eat junk when they get out on their own especially if they were never allowed to have it when they are young. I go thru that now with my kids who were allowed very little soda. If you make your own cream of mushroom and use shredded potatoes instead its a pretty good recipe.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Homemade Tater Tots Recipe

8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
4 Tablespoons flour
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil

Directions:

Finely shred or use ricer while potatoes are hot. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Heat 1/4" oil in heavy pan. Form into small balls and drop into oil. Fry till slightly golden. Drain on paper towels, then freeze for later use in tater tot casserole. Or to serve alone, bake in single layer on baking sheet at 400F till of desired crispness.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
I dont think there is anything wrong with serving this type of meal on a night when mom just doesnt have time or feel like making a whole supper or maybe on a special "family night". As long as other nights are good healthy suppers, besides kids are going to eat junk when they get out on their own especially if they were never allowed to have it when they are young. I go thru that now with my kids who were allowed very little soda. If you make your own cream of mushroom and use shredded potatoes instead its a pretty good recipe.
I definitely agree Ams. Yea we all strive to cut junk and chemicals etc...but at some point every single person here is going to eat something not made by us....whether it be a candy apple from the carnival or a piece of boxed cake from a neighbor's party or an ice cream from the local store.

I would serve this one night when I needed easy. I have no problems with it.....but I wouldn't eat it...HA HA HA....Nicole and Tony would! And that is just me, I don't want it but the other 2 do so I make what they like also. Most times great natural foods, sometimes junk....yup, alot of us live that way I am sure!!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't eat it because I'm a vegetarian but the kids love it once in a very great while.
I figure anything that's absolutely forbidden becomes so tantalizing that they have to have some at some point so we do eat at McDonald's like twice a year and they do have some pop at very special occasions. If the world goes south tomorrow there either won't be anyone around to know if my kids ate their salad at their last meal or the junk food won't be around anymore and my kids will fondly remember that time Mom brought oreos to the picnic instead of homemade cookies.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Homemade Tater Tots Recipe

8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
4 Tablespoons flour
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil

Directions:

Finely shred or use ricer while potatoes are hot. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Heat 1/4" oil in heavy pan. Form into small balls and drop into oil. Fry till slightly golden. Drain on paper towels, then freeze for later use in tater tot casserole. Or to serve alone, bake in single layer on baking sheet at 400F till of desired crispness.
Keljonma, I have never seen this recipe, you rock! I love that we can adapt. And yes, forbidden for kids usually means rebellion. Unfortunately, what I see around me in people's lives is that fast food and junk food are the norm, not the exceptional meal. People I know in my extended family and ny friends say they only feed their kids this way occasionally, but it isn't the truth. I hope all of you are striving to do better. I really wish I had done better than I did, and I didn't do an awful job.