Various Tater Tot Casserole Recipes

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Sorry, I really didn't mean it that way. I was really talking about my family and friends who don't have a SS leaning bone in their bodies. The people I see here are the striving ones.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I was going to post an "Oh the horror" of using 'tater tots and frozen hash browns in a self sufficient forum. What about using "real" potatoes?

Now I don't have to :hide because I didn't post one. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the quick explanation Zen....it was just worded where I thought...hmm...but I knew I didn't want to jump on ya cause I know you are a good poster!

And I know you sure meant well by that post anyway!!

COOL!!

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Karen,
I do think I come across as too harsh at times. Others have said it too and I will work on it.
I really get frustrated by people that I come into physical contact with. I went to get bananas today and the lady ahead of me was getting a Coke with her food stamp card, and the vodka to go with it she paid cash for. That is all she bought. She had a kid on one arm and one in the basket and I am hurting for them. Neither one was clean or looked well nourished.
My own brother is one of whom I was thinking about. He is educated and talks the talk of good food, but when I use my eyes and listen to the kids it really isn't true very often.
Go ahead and call me out on my tone, I will listen.

dacjohns

Reaction score
This thread is going off on a tangent but . . .

how can you buy a coke with a food stamp card? It seems like that would be something that doesn't qualify. Another one of Bill's doings?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is cool Zen
I know what you mean.....I was iffy on writing what I wrote cause I can do the "same tone" in a post and know what "I am referring to and thinking" but it comes across strange....LOL
(that sentence probably came across strange!)

Yea being in line behind that purchase with kids....coke on food stamps and vodka with cash and nothing else...Hmm...that wouldn't sit well with me.

I know! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My kids love my mom's porcupine potatoes, which are just potatoes put through a certain setting on her food processor until they are sort of grated, formed into patties, rolled in flour and fried.

I must admit, that I was thinking about the whole tater tots as being a little too processed for my tastes, but didn't say it! :p

Dac, food stamp usually pays for most anything that is considered a food item.

I know this is totally off subject, but it bears saying:

It always amazes me that people scrutinize what people buy when they pay for it with food stamps, but probably wouldn't look twice if the same person was paying with cash. Is it a proprietory feeling~ that these people are spending the tax payers money and should use it wisely? Do all people paying with cash, or credit, use it wisely? Are these people to be held to a higher standard because they are poor? I'm wondering if, when they see one paying with FS who buys all nutritious foods, do they go and tell people about that as well?

I've worked since I was 14 years old, sometimes 2-3 jobs at a time and have paid taxes longer than most folks my age, but I will tell you that I have had to use "the system" before, as a single parent.

Yes, some welfare recipients are "lifers" and either deserve your contempt or pity~however you see fit. Some are people who pay taxes for a benefit that they are ashamed to avail themselves of because people make assumptions about their lives.

I've heard it all and always manage to keep my mouth shut...which is more than I can say for those who "work for a living", but have never seen hard times. There are a large percentage who never want to resort to using food stamps because of the obvious stigma attached. Maybe this person was what you thought, a mother who doesn't care about nutrition. Maybe she was buying refreshments for a party, because she didn't have the money to buy a gift.

When it comes down to it, you don't know the circumstances of this person's life and you don't know how you would have fared in the same circumstances. Its easy to assume, if you've never been down far enough to need charity. Its quite a luxury to have never needed a hand up. I agree that a large percentage are using us and the system and that is a bad thing. Some are hard working people struggling to make it and struggling to overcome the feeling of lowering their pride to feed their family.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but I would like to enlighten everyone to the other side of the coin. Stepping off the soap box now..... :old :)

dacjohns

Reaction score
I'm probably equating food stamps with WIC, two different programs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Homemade Tater Tots Recipe

8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
4 Tablespoons flour
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil

Directions:

Finely shred or use ricer while potatoes are hot. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Heat 1/4" oil in heavy pan. Form into small balls and drop into oil. Fry till slightly golden. Drain on paper towels, then freeze for later use in tater tot casserole. Or to serve alone, bake in single layer on baking sheet at 400F till of desired crispness.
Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes or yams? I am allergic to potatoes :hit and miss fried taters in any form! Or do you thing yams are too soft? I do oven fries a lot, but they don't always crisp up.