keljonma said:
Homemade Tater Tots Recipe

8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
4 Tablespoons flour
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Canola oil

Directions:

Finely shred or use ricer while potatoes are hot. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Heat 1/4" oil in heavy pan. Form into small balls and drop into oil. Fry till slightly golden. Drain on paper towels, then freeze for later use in tater tot casserole. Or to serve alone, bake in single layer on baking sheet at 400F till of desired crispness.
Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes or yams? I am allergic to potatoes :hit and miss fried taters in any form! Or do you thing yams are too soft? I do oven fries a lot, but they don't always crisp up.
ooh..i bet THAT would be sooo good!...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard it all and always manage to keep my mouth shut...which is more than I can say for those who "work for a living", but have never seen hard times.

**********Come on Bee...hmm....does that appy to you! always manage to keep you mouth shut? :lol: :lol: :gig

(I just had to dig ya on that one!)!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I've heard it all and always manage to keep my mouth shut...which is more than I can say for those who "work for a living", but have never seen hard times.

**********Come on Bee...hmm....does that appy to you! always manage to keep you mouth shut? :lol: :lol: :gig

(I just had to dig ya on that one!)!!!
I know its hard to believe, FC, but the opportunities to keep one's mouth shut have not eluded me!!! There is a time to spout....depending on the intelligence of one's listening audience. I account you folks with more intelligence than the average bear, so to speak! You say this in a store aisle and it tends to lose its impact! :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I posted these recipes because the conversation came up in PamsPride's journal. These types of casseroles are popular with elementary age kids and you can sneak veggies in them pretty easily, if the kids don't like to eat veggies.

My sister uses these recipes with ground or diced poultry instead of beef.

I've made the tater tots before, but usually use shredded potatoes, as I seem to have them on hand most often.

FREEMOTION: I think for the yams I would just shred them. I'm not sure how they would turn out as tater tots, but I agree with redhen, that they may be pretty good. Please post your results, if you do try this!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I printed out the recipe and hope to find time to try it later this week, will let you know!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I posted these recipes because the conversation came up in PamsPride's journal. These types of casseroles are popular with elementary age kids and you can sneak veggies in them pretty easily, if the kids don't like to eat veggies.

My sister uses these recipes with ground or diced poultry instead of beef.

I've made the tater tots before, but usually use shredded potatoes, as I seem to have them on hand most often.

FREEMOTION: I think for the yams I would just shred them. I'm not sure how they would turn out as tater tots, but I agree with redhen, that they may be pretty good. Please post your results, if you do try this!
my older son was hard with veggies but by putting peas in casseroles or grated carrots in meatloaf, etc it worked. Now that he's older he is a little more adventurous. He'd be just as likely to buy a salad at wendy's as a burger.