Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my never ending quest to add coconut oil to DH's diet, we have some of this:

Vegan Butter

1 cup coconut milk
1 TBSP ACV
1 tsp salt
Stir together and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to 'curdle'.

Add:
1-3/4 cup refined coconut oil
3 TBSP canola oil (or mild tasting oil of your choice)
2 TBSP soy lecithin (or 1TBSP of sunflower lecithin)

optional: a pinch of tumeric to make it yellow.

Mix in blender or Magic Bullet until it's the consistency of soft butter. Will keep in the frig for a couple of weeks.

My notes from the two times I've made this:
I make half a recipe at a time which is still plenty, yields about a cup and a half. That way it fits in my Magic Bullet cup.
I use unsweetened, dried coconut to make coconut milk.
Refined coconut oil has no coconut flavor.
I do use the canola oil, but buy non GMO from Azure. I may try it with grapeseed oil next.
This will be white unless you add the tumeric.
It hardens like real butter in the frig, melts on hot toast and actually is a decent sub for butter. Supposedly you can use it like butter in recipes, too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What does it taste like? I have coconut oil and it doesn't taste like much. I'm not a vegan and I do use butter, not margarine. But that doesn't mean I close my mind to what other people do, heck I might learn something!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's not bad at all, kind of tastes like butter after you spread it on toast or whatever. Sure wouldn't pass a side by side taste test, you know? My first choice will always be butter, but I like having this, too. I'm also not vegan, just semi vegetarian.
I am trying to get as much coconut oil (and lecithin) down DH as I can - Alzheimer's is rampant in his family.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh..... I understand. Put some coconut oil in that gravy and cornbread!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Michael Hibberd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My vegan housemate has been spreading bread with coconut oils since last summer. Apparently wonderful for the skin and hair. :)