Vegetable Stock recipes please

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some ladies from our church are going to do a 21-day Daniel Fast . While eating this way, it's basically a modified vegan diet - no sweeteners (other than fruits/juices), nothing to drink but water, no dairy of any sort, no meat, only unleavened bread - pretty much fruits, veggies, beans, and grains. (Although a lot of her recipes use tofu/soy milk. Lets just say I'll be leaving that out or substituting beans or almond milk! See - I can be taught ;) )

A lot of the recipes are for soups/stews, and so we'll be using lots of veggie stock. They do give a recipe that calls for carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and bay leaves, and boil for an hour, then strain. Would it be possible to roast these veggies first to improve flavor (olive and canola oil are allowed)? If so, how long and at what temp?

I'm also wondering what are YOUR recipes for vegetable stock. Thanks for sharing!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes, roasting the veggies wil give a richer flavour. and really I don't follow a recipe--jut throw a bunch of veggies in a pot, add water and salt, some herbs, and definitely a bay leaf or two. simmer, strain. and then make you soups/stews

EllenDee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, the vegetable stock recipe I use is:

2.2 litres water
250g onion, minced
250g carrot, minced
250g leek, finely chopped
250g celery, finely chopped
50ml olive oil
1 small bunch parsley
1 small bunch basil
1 small bunch thyme
1 small bunch tarragon
4 bay leaves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp pepper seeds

Sweat the vegetables in olive oil 10 minutes. Add water, bring to the boil and throw in other ingredients. Simmer 20 minutes then strain.

Garlic and tomatoes can be added as desired.

This is the vegetable stock recipe I use and I really love it - I am not vegetarian, but now substitute this into a lot of recipes where I used to use chicken stock.

Hope this helps!!

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now I put tomatoes in my vegetable stock but then don't I put tomatoes in everything?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I like tomato based soups only if I can expect beef. :p
I use tomato in my vegetable stock even when I'm just using the vegetable stock to brine a turkey. Awesome. And of course if you're going to make any kind of vegetarian soup it must have tomatoes in it for me. I just like to drink the vegetable stock plain and OH, don't forget that after you roast those veggies and boil them you can EAT them!!!! That's why I always throw a few potatoes or turnips in mine, then I just dish up the turnips, celery, onions, carrots and leeks toss some butter on 'em and chow down. I was a vegetarian for years so this is good eatin' to me.

Latest posts