Vegetable Torta with Fresh Basil

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Vegetable Torta with Fresh Basil

Serves 8 - Makes one 10-inch torta

Baked in a springform pan and served in wedges like a cake, this thick vegetable torta is best made the day before and reheated. It can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Serving temperature can be hot, room temperature, or cold.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
3 yellow summer squash, sliced thick
3 zucchini, sliced thick
1 red bell pepper, cut into thick strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thick strips
6 large eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half or evaporated milk
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
About 3 cups day-old bread, in cubes
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, cut into chunks
2 cups (6-8 oz) shredded Swiss, Jarlsberg or Havarti cheese

Preheat oven to 350F, if baking immediately. Brush the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan with oil. To prevent leaking, wrap the outside of the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, and peppers and saut until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

While the vegetables are cooking, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and basil in a very large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bread cubes and cheeses.

Add the sauted vegetables to the bread mixture and stir with a large rubber spatula to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan and pack the mixture tightly. Place the pan on a baking sheet.

Bake for 1 hour, until firm to the touch, puffed, and golden brown. Serve hot or warm if serving the same day. Or cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.

To Transport: Tightly cover and place in a position to prevent tipping.
On Site/Prep: May be reheated at 350F for 15 minutes, or until warmed.

To serve, cut into pie-shaped wedges.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I enjoy dishes like this even in the winter when the squash are not in season. If you garden, it is possible to freeze summer squash for these type of recipe. I blanch slices and when I defrost them I drain the extra moisture. The texture isn't quite the same but not bad, add them at the very end of your fry. Bell peppers also translate very well from freezing into a dish like this.
BTW - I think I will try this recipe very soon!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Z - last time I made this, I only had 1 yellow squash in the garden, so just added more zucchini. My dh likes it with a homemade tomato sauce like we use for spaghetti.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it this summer with all the fresh fixings!

Latest posts