Veggie chips

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What kinds of healthy veggie chips have you all tried and what did you think? I'm thinking either oven baked or dehydrated. What kind of storage heve you tried?

I'm going to give kale chips a try this afternoon! Probably two batches, one with kosher salt and one with garlic salt. Anyone ever try them?

I can't wait until my garden starts producing, I want to try zucchini chips in the dehydrator. :D Sounds like it would be GREAT with humus!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't tried them - seems like the key for dehydrated ones would be getting them really thin so they can be eaten easily. Dehydrated veggies go REALLY hard, so if they end up even 1/8 of an inch thick when done, it would be impossible to bite a piece off! :)

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I slice my veggies really thin, like squash and zucchini. Once dehydrated, then are actually a lot like potato chips, crisp and crunchy, and not difficult to break.

They are definitely great with hummus!

Sometimes I put in a jar to keep for actual "chip" use, and sometimes I put them in a baggie, crunch to bits, and add them to my dehydrated veggie bits collection. Those go with other dried veggies for dips, soups, stews, and anywhere I can hide veggies where my son can't find them.

These days I do store in jars (not processed or anything). But I still have some from 2008 that were just placed in baggies. No bugs, no mold, still crispy and tasty.

Guess it depends on your location, your humidity, and your supplies.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kale chips are out! munch munch munch... and almost gone! SOOOOO GOOOOD!!! My dd(2 years) and I have almost polished off an entire bunch of kale to ourselves! Diaper changes are not going to be fun tomorrow! :lol:

I can't wait for other veggie chips!

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have plenty of canning jars, and a vacume sealer as well, but I'm betting the sealer would crush the chips... :(

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love the TERRA veggies chips. I would recommend making something simialr to theirs. All I remember was sweet potato,blue potato,beets,and stripped beets.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
I have plenty of canning jars, and a vacume sealer as well, but I'm betting the sealer would crush the chips... :(
That's why I don't use the vacuum sealer for the jars when I store the dried fruits and veggies. Concerned about pulverizing them! But if you dehydrate appropriately, they'll keep for a long time in a dark, dry, cool place. Just screw on the top fairly tightly (so no bugs can get it) and you should be good to go!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been giving some thought to a dehydrator, thinking veggie chips might be a good snack. I picked up a container of veggie chips from big-mart the other day, to see if I liked them. They had a funky taste, like I have tasted in other food from Japan years ago. I checked on the package and they were packaged in Vietnam. Maybe it was the combination of the oil and dextrin. I have a feeling they were deep fried rather than dehydrated. Texture was great, tho--crispy and easy to chew. I think they would have been much better with cajun seasoning, or something else.