Veggie dinner guest...need menu ideas

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I need a good vegetarian meal, worthy of guests and I am drawing a blank.

I want to to be something that can mostly be prepped ahead...I was thinking about BBH's sage spaghetti squash, but that may be a last minute kitchen mess.

I am also toying with the idea of a warm bacon spinach salad with a little raw coconut oil mixed into the dressing....but I have never tried it, it just sounds 'potentially' yummy.

It is also my MIL's bday, so I am going to make black bean cupcakes topped with fresh whipped cream....and maybe a couple of berries :drool

I am open to suggestions!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If it were me, I would search for a good quinoa recipe, with a salad. I posted one on here somewhere before, but I don't have time to search for it right now.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh come one.. you know i'm gonna say bacon with a side of liverwurst!
;-)

pasta is always easy - toss with veggies, a little cream, herbs, and some water from boiling the pasta.

serve that to your guest and then you eat a big steak - extra rare.

i'm so kidding. kinda. well you know....

happy thursday!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
See what an idiot I am? Considering a warm spinach and bacon salad for a veghead! :smack

Quinoa is a good idea.... I like the bacon with steak on the side personally :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: I was gonna say "when did bacon become veggie?"

How about a chopped Greek salad, hummus, and some other kind of Mediterranean dish? That um loubie-something-or-other that is made with marinated white beans is delish.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And that yummy seasoned rice pilaf with the toasted pine nuts and cinnamon they serve at Aladdin's always makes me :drool

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
What about a curry of some kind? They are great for making ahead of time and reheating real quick. We often eat chickpea curry or Mutter Paneer (peas and cheese curry)

Quiche is easy to make a little ahead, and you can put whatever veggies you want in it.

If you already have the spinach, I love spinach salad with roasted beets, apple chunks, toasted pecans and chevre. Or with orange segments, sliced pickled or hard boiled eggs and strawberries. Both are great with a fruity vinaigrette.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The quiche sounds good. If your doing a spinach salad I would go for something cold you could fancy up and plate ahead of time. The wilted one would be tricky to toss at the last minute.

Is your MIL a vegetarian??

All of the rice an quinoa recipes sound good.

Good luck!!

gina

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh Iceblink you might be onto something there! I love the quiche and spinach salad combo!

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was married for a few years to a vegetarian (Seventh Day Adventist) and so I just left the meat out of my casseroles. He did eat eggs and dairy and such, thankfully. I didn't rely on those fake meats, cus most of them were horrible. I like Morningstar Farms meatless patties tho. I made a mean Chicken Cacciatore, sans chicken but using pinto beans or kidney beans. Also made Chicken Tetrazzini, sans chicken substituting with some cottage cheese, or chick peas.

I love casseroles.