Venting Time!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
:barnie Today is someone's birthday at work and the secretary just went around asking for money to buy a cake. We've got about 14ish people working here, and that's a LOT of birthdays! We decided over a year ago to stop doing birthdays because it just got too expensive, but now for some reason we're doing them again. :rolleyes: I can not afford it! A lady just went to another job and one day we got pizza (freaking $6 per person for 2 slices!), then the next day we got her a cake ($4 per person) then they wanted money for a gift too!! :rant :he I'm sorry, but I have better things to spend my money on than expensive food that doesn't even taste good! Now I feel like a jerk for saying, "I"m sorry, I have no money so I'll opt out." :rolleyes:

I *just* got back from teh pharmacy and found out one of my scripts doubled (my copay), and the other one went up $30 bucks!!! :somad Don't ask me for damn cake money! :rant

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:lol: I wouldn't worry about it. It's irritating when people do that, but that never stops them. Funny how folks who don't know anything about your financial situation never have problems putting you on the spot like that :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
why do you feel like a jerk for opting out?
nothing wrong with that.....work and 'money collection' for something happens...don't for one second feel you 'must' do it.

forget it lol I would

and yea the increase on the meds would make me vent more

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't do it either. I'd just say "I thought we agreed not to do this anymore". And it's so much more fun to give $$ to buy something for someone you really don't like, huh. :/

If it's someone you do like, pick a couple flowers from your garden and give her that instead. Or bake brownies for the family the night before and take your co-worker a couple the next day. Or dig up a little plant start and put in a pot. Or give her a jar of homemade jelly. Or etc, etc. Then you still will have participated in the birthday gig, without putting out the change.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just politely decline and forget about it!!! In my case, one person, who was not very well liked by the team, was leaving the team, and although the company was paying for the full lunch, less than a quarter of the team was "available" at that time. Boss couldn't understand the team turning down a free lunch :D

I second Marianne's point, something individual and personal would mean more to someone you actually enjoy being around.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to work in an office where we did this. I hated it. I always felt so pressured to give money. I stopped doing it and got the stinky eye from my coworkers, but they lived and so did I. LOL

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Well I feel much better now. :D I tell ya, stress over money causes stress for everything! I don't really feel bad anymore for not participating. I think others reluctantly participate, but maybe they'll stop also. One coworker gave the spare change in her purse....it was something like $1.44. :lol:

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would totally skip out too and not feel bad at all.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I was a batchlor boss for a department that had 14 females and 1 guy (that I was sure was gay) I knew what these people earned and I was fairly sure they weren't there for the fun of it. I had a policy on the always open door. I DON'T go. I DON'T give. I DON'T Accept gifts I DON"T want to hear about it! I DO care for all of you but this is what works for me. Rule only got broke once. Woman came back from a party half in the bag and I think the others put her up to it. She grabed my neck and planted a big wet one on me. There was no way I was going to return that!~gd

Naughty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i have that at my office - luckily they mostly just pass around an envelop - so you can give if you want but arent on the spot

its frustrating for someone who is always broke