Vermiculture and Aquaponics

LittleRoosterCroft

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been off of here for a bit between traveling a bit and then the end of the semester and holidays it got kind of crazy and stressful!

So...My last final was Friday...Saturday I had holiday events (for which I had to rush around and make things...) but Sunday I had the day to myself and nothing to read for school, no exam to study for, etc!!!

I managed to finish (almost) two projects I have been working on. First I got my worm bins set up finally...I used the triple tuffy tote system, the bottom bin with a spacer with the 1st bin with holes on bottom, upper side and lid for ventilation. The 2nd bin is identical and will be for when the first starts to get full. I used peat moss and egg shells with shredded newspaper to start them off. I am very excited about all this, I hope to have enough worms to put in my garden, to go fishing with and for snacks for the featherheads. I do plan to add another bin in the spring under my rabbits...figured I'll split what I have inside and start that one...the chickens have access to under the rabbits...if I section off for a bit so the worms can get established then hopefully the will keep on going when I let the chickens in....that is the plan for the garden too but that is the spring project...now I just want the wormies to get established and going well over the winter.

The second project is the inside aquaponics system. I decided to try a small system before I invest in a larger tilapia/tomato growing one outside. I got a 10 gallon tank on a dresser (great for storing supplies) in my sunroom (the porch with a lot of windows). Above the tank and across the big windows I put a shelf with a plastic gutter sealed on both ends. I have a pump in the tank with one tube going into the gutter and another coming out. What I need to do now is get my seedlings going and get fish in the tank. My thoughts are to grow herbs for my cooking and get little rosies that hopefully will reproduce and I am thinking the chickens will probably like to eat them as well as my outdoor cats. We'll see how that goes!

So, who is currently doing vermiculture or aquaponics? I will get pics posted soon and let everyone know how the systems are going (if anyone is interested!).

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I was attempting vermiculture back in the Spring but my worms died. I have been contemplating getting back into them.....

S

sunsaver

Very interesting projects! Both my compost piles and permaculture beds are always full of worms, so i have tried neither. But i would like to do vermicomposting indoors with a computer controlled moisture/ temp sensors, so i don't have to collect my kitchen scraps and take them out to the compost area. No more odors from rotting veggies waiting to be taken out. I could just chuck them under the sink into the vermicomposter and bingo! A bio food disposal system and free compost! Well its a dream project, not a top priority. I have so many things in the works that are on delay because of my health. Keep us informed, on the hydroponics especially. It could be great for people with limited space or stuck in an apartment to have fresh veggies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I did it as a small scale experiment to feed the chickens, but I have considered doing it under the rabbit hutches again....

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will get pics posted soon and let everyone know how the systems are going (if anyone is interested!).
Not doing either one at this time but we are totally interested in both and there are definately on our future projects list! :D

brandylorton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Vermiculture and Aquaponics both together can be great idea regarding the gardening. I have been using the combination of both the hydroponic and the aquaponic system both. So will be an added advantage if you get success.