Very Quiet in Here

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've noticed it's been very quiet in this forum lately. I am checking in every other day or so, but when I click "New Posts" there aren't that many. So...what's the reason???

I know for me, our home business runs full speed once June hits, and won't calm down until the winter holidays. Plus, I am out and about in the yard and the garden trying to keep things from getting out of control.

Have you noticed there is less participation??? Are you participating less now that the summer is here?

Tell us why.....

Jim

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have as much time to post since I'm working in the garden and all. I'm sure that's the same for most of us.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not much time due to work and being pooped from that blah :/

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep -- noticed same....slow, slow, SLOW on site.

But, this IS the time when gardens are coming in, processing, etc. (if you have a garden -- I didn't get one this year). The grass is growing fast and it can be a true balancing act to get it cut between rain. Personally, I have about 13 acres to keep mowed, even with the animals grazing.

Heat is everywhere -- makes extra chores for me to dump water and refill on many day. In 100 degree that water gets bathtub warm in a few hrs. You have to keep them drinking! So dump & refill. Then, the piggies want a cool mudhole and a shower...... It's busy.

I do check in each day. Try to talk with everyone......

I've spent about 6 hrs mowing this past week, will do couple more today. Fence moves/repairs working -- pasture rotations chores for animals, etc. I want and need to hook up the disc to lightly hit some places in the just put to rest fields to plant some things for Fall forage. I can tell you that that darned equipment is heavy !! Never seems to be sitting like I left it, so needs a little couple inches up/down/right/left, etc. to hook up. After I fight that for an hr I find myself less enthused BUT -- determined! Riding my tractor is therapeutic.

Some of my grow out hens/roos are ready for a new coop. Another chore. Absolutely MUST get that pig to butcher. Today I am set to go get my "regular" load of "salvage" bread for the animals. Couple hrs for that & so it goes. I sometimes go inside mid afternoon for couple hrs (heat) then back out the finish work in the 4-8PM timeframe. Today I will ride in A?C truck for bread run.

Anyone else who wants to "whine" about our chosen lifestyle on this thread ? :p Give us some insight...we all love knowing we are NOT the only self abused people out there!

Here's a couple things I know:

We don't need 1/2 of what we have.
Farming is a lot of hard work, really.
Watching my hen & hatchlings is entertaining & calming.
Smaller house could be helpful, seems I only live in 3 rooms.
Less animals is less work.
Winters inside make our minds immune to such true facts!:cool:
I think like I'm 20 again....but, work like my real 70 dictates.
I'm amazed at how our elders survived without modern "help".

:frow Gotta go -- tractor won't start without me.:old

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great post @Mini Horses! My problem lately is I haven't been able to spend as much time outside in the gardens as I want. Our home biz keeps us so busy this time of year. Today, we have two deliveries to make. This morning I mixed up a few gallons of Lavender Linen Mist and Air Freshener and bottled it. Now, I smell like a Lavender field! Tomorrow, I have to make two pick ups for biz supplies. It is a 50 mile round trip, but I have to go twice since our van can't handle more than about 2000lbs at a time. Then, I have to mix up 650 bottles of Lavender and Lemongrass & Sage products. I'll smell great the next few days! Well, the biz helps us pay the bills, so we can have this beautiful country place...and our gardens. My only complaint is I wish I could be outside more this time of the year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great post @Mini Horses! My problem lately is I haven't been able to spend as much time outside in the gardens as I want. Our home biz keeps us so busy this time of year. Today, we have two deliveries to make. This morning I mixed up a few gallons of Lavender Linen Mist and Air Freshener and bottled it. Now, I smell like a Lavender field! Tomorrow, I have to make two pick ups for biz supplies. It is a 50 mile round trip, but I have to go twice since our van can't handle more than about 2000lbs at a time. Then, I have to mix up 650 bottles of Lavender and Lemongrass & Sage products. I'll smell great the next few days! Well, the biz helps us pay the bills, so we can have this beautiful country place...and our gardens. My only complaint is I wish I could be outside more this time of the year.

My only complaint is that summer is outside this time of year! HOT HOT HOT HOT!!!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup. I don't like the heat and humidity here in the Pocono Mountains this time of year....

Was in the garden for a time this afternoon....tomatoes, beets, turnips, carrots, peas, peppers, pumpkins, watermelons, herbs and acorn squash look to be doing well. The lettuce and spinach are bolting and finished for the summer. I'll start another crop at the end of August.

Tremendous downpour this afternoon. Good. We can always use rain.