Very Sad - Mr. Q (1991-2010)

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We had to put down my cat last night.

He had a good life. I encountered him on one of our many outings to the SPCA. We used to go regularly in the summer as an activity to keep the kids occupied.

I had no intention of bringing home another cat (we already had 1 cat and 2 dogs). There was a wall full of cages with kittens that I had no problem leaving behind, but there was this big black adult cat that got my attention and there was a connection. I just knew I couldn't leave him there even though I knew showing up at home with an undiscussed pet would have the sparks flying. I was right, but it was worth it.

He was 4 1/2 years old and he was declawed in the front, so I was told he had to be an indoor cat. He had very different ideas about what kind of cat he was. Barely a week after we got him, he escaped outside and went missing. I was gutted. We put up signs in our neighbourhood. Fortunately, he had a very distinctive marking and about 2 weeks after he went missing, we got a phone call. Someone had found our wayward cat.

We managed to keep him in for a few weeks, but he was a determined fellow and with the summer heat, doors were kept open and he ended up being an indoor/outdoor cat.

He took on the nickname "stretch dribbly" because he was very long and would stretch up and jiggle the door knob when he wanted in or out and he drooled like crazy when he was happy.

This cat took over - the dogs anyway. Our original cat still ruled the roost, but Mr. Q would smack the dogs whenever the mood struck him. He outlived the original dogs along with our rescued German Shepherd. Mr Q is survived by our original cat and the latest in his long line of submissive dogs.

He was such a great cat and his passing has left a huge hole in our house.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
He sounded like a great cat, that got to live the way he wanted to. Sorry he's passed. :hugs I wish I could help you feel better.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful life he seems to have had in your home :) I'm sure he'll be missed deeply, but remembered fondly.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. It sounds like he hit the jackpot when he was adopted by you. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
<big hug>

They don't live long enough, but they're good cats while they're here. And he sounds like a *particularly* good cat (the world needs more dog-training cats <g>) and clearly he picked right when he picked you to give him a home.

Condolences and sympahty,

Pat

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have more cats than I'm willing to admit to, but I understand when you say it has left a huge hole in your house. We lost one of ours about a year ago, when she threw a clot and we had to put her down. I still miss her.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.