Vet Trip for heart worm Rx. Anyother ss way to deal with heart worms?

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You definately have to have the rabies shot administered by a vet. You cannot order it from anywhere that I am aware of...at a Rabies clinic, the vet would supply you with the same information they would if you had the shot done in the vet office.

Do you have a university nearby that offers vet school? You might be able to get your vet needs met by the clinic at the university...

Good luck with your dog....

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For the rabies shot we always go to a rabies clinic. We Have 2 Saints and a Dane. The rabies shots were $5 each and the distemper was $5 also. So for my 3 large dogs it cost us $30 total and we are set for the year now. But worming them is another story...still not sure what to give them....Can i use the horse stuff? And how much to use? My 2 males are over 150 lbs and my female is about 90 lbs.

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi...I found these bits of info doing a google...these are from German Shepherd site...

Here is another "formula" I found while researching proper dosages, anybody agree/disagree? Those who are giving .1cc per 10 pounds of straight 1% solution, there is a possiblitly of overdosing if just using for heartworm preventative according to this formula. The proven dosages are: Heartworm prevention - 0.003-0.0066 mg/lb Roundworm - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb Hookworm - 0.023 mg/lb Microfilaricide - 0.023-0.09 mg/lb single dose (Let your veterinary treat!) The proven dosage for a 51-100lbs dog 272mcg. This is the amount of Ivomec in Heartgard (Brown Tablets). Ivomec 1% solution contains 10,000 mcg (micrograms), which Ivomec delivers in 1mL (cc). A dog only needs 3 mcg of Ivomec, per pound of body weight per month to keep them heartworm free! So - if 1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000 mcg, we can bring that number down by mixing it with propylene glycol (dont use water, oils, milk, etc. the Ivomec wont mixed correctly. So youll never know the amount of Ivomec youre actually giving). Which actually works as a carrier agent for the Ivomec. 9 parts - propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec. That will deliver 1,000 mcg of Ivomec per 1 cc. Then, you only give (orally) 0.1 cc of the mixed Ivomec per 30 lbs of body weight.

I have used 1% iIvermectin for years . You can get it at any feed and seed store. Give it just like it is prescribed for cattle. Give it 1/10 cc per ten lbs. or 1 full cc will treat a 110 lb dog. I have used it for years and never had any adverse affects. It also will treat fleas and ticks. I use it at the first of each month, easier to remember then, and have never had any side affects. When I get health certificates for my pups they never have any internal or external parasites. If there is any doubt about how use it, the directions are on the package or bottle it comes in. It is not labeled for dogs because it is so cheap and vets will only reluctantly tell you how to use it...

both of these came from a forum at http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/56999.html

I hope this helps you....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you for your research on this topic! :thumbsup It was very informative and seems like a much cheaper route. Just to be clear, is this the ivomec for cattle that comes in a paste to be given orally?

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I recommend horse ivermectin over bovine. Just me, I think they are more cautious when making horse medications. I've used the tube paste for years. You can often get it for under $3-$4 a tube. I have herding dogs and never had any adverse effects using the paste.

If you notice, your regular dog dosage is 'under so much' 'between ?? to ??' and 'over so much' ... there is quite a margin, really. It is difficult to overdose, if you just use a little commonsense.

I never even HEARD of heartworm when we were kids. Heartworm incidence has grown so much since then, can't really use that argument as to why not use some preventative. Some areas of the country are more prone than others.

You can also use other comparable horse pastes for treating worms, as well, just check the base ingredient needed.

I get my rabies done by my vet and give my dogs (and horses) all other vaccines. I don't vaccine yearly, and do less and less as they get older or if they rarely getting exposed to much.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
greyhorsewoman said:
I recommend horse ivermectin over bovine. Just me, I think they are more cautious when making horse medications. I've used the tube paste for years. You can often get it for under $3-$4 a tube. I have herding dogs and never had any adverse effects using the paste.

If you notice, your regular dog dosage is 'under so much' 'between ?? to ??' and 'over so much' ... there is quite a margin, really. It is difficult to overdose, if you just use a little commonsense.

I never even HEARD of heartworm when we were kids. Heartworm incidence has grown so much since then, can't really use that argument as to why not use some preventative. Some areas of the country are more prone than others.

You can also use other comparable horse pastes for treating worms, as well, just check the base ingredient needed.

I get my rabies done by my vet and give my dogs (and horses) all other vaccines. I don't vaccine yearly, and do less and less as they get older or if they rarely getting exposed to much.
Can you please tell me the exact name of the med and how much you think a 150 + lb dog should take? also...is this med just for heartworms..or for all worms? Thanks for any help.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL giving vaccines at home. Do a google search for AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) vaccine recomendations. They have a chart that lists all canine vaccines, and recomended types, times and situations. There are still vaccine formulas floating around in the 'do it yourself' areas that cause blindness, or have high rates of reaction.

You can also have titers run for the big 3 (Distemper, Adeno virus, Parvo) if you don't want to vaccinate. Most of the vets I have ever used will combine bloodwork and you get a discount if for example, you get a heartworm test at the same time as a titer. There is a Rabies titer test, but it is very expensive, and won't count as a preventative in legal matters.

As far as heartworm goes, we use Revolution, which kills/prevents fleas, ticks, heartworm, all common intestinal parasites except for tapeworms, and mites. It is more expensive than a flea/tick product or a heartworm product, but less than both together. I am not advocating Revolution, just putting it out here as an option.

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
smithx9 said:
What I have is the liquid...I have large dogs (80 plus lbs)..I give to the first mark on the syringe...its really just a tiny bit...for a more perfect measure, you would need to know your dogs weight and then ask a vet....or maybe that info could be found on line somewhere....

My neighbor uses the past on her horse, and then lets the dog lick the tip of the past gun...you know, that last little squirt that comes out of the container...if that is any help.
Its a tenth of a cc for every ten pounds of dog if you use the one percent cattle/swine ivermectin. If you use horse wormer paste it would be a bit less because that is stronger.

NancyDz

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Please do research on your breed before giving Ivermectin, many of the shepherd , herding and collie breeds have fatal reactions to Ivermectin in any form or dose.

There is some info here under side effects:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

My friend lost her beloved border collie because of Ivermectin.
You can get your dog tested to see if they have the genetic mutation that causes this bad reaction.

PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK before trying this on your dog to save a few $$.

Here at the shot clinics you can get a heartworm test for $23 and
deals on the meds. I actually chose to test twice a year instead of giving meds also.

Nancy

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can always use the Shaklees soap in their water...... ;) Great de-worming and safe as houses.