VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The job situation is pretty tough around here. Hope things work out for you. Is that a bear in the picture under your user name?

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, that's momma bear and two cubs climbing down the tree. They were about 200 yards from the house. We had daddy bear checking out our mulberry tree about 100 yards from the house in May. Last year I was walking Dixie and there was a male bear less than 100 yards from us. At first I thought someone's lab was out wandering around then I realized how big he was in relation to the weeds. He didn't even know we were there till I yelled a couple startled words. He continued to lumber along, just by chance, straight in our direction. Dixie wanted to go meet him. I am probably one of very few people who have outrun a Greyhound :rolleyes: He finally realized that we were predators also and headed for the cornfield. Someday I will get a decent picture with our wildlife camera.

Annette

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Whew! It's been a busy couple-of weeks. We went to Virginia to visit our son, who is stationed there. What a beautiful state! We got to spend time in DC, and the surrounding countryside, and visited some historical places. The leaves were just beginning to turn. Since our trees back in Wisconsin are already naked, we got to experience a second fall.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just read your journal. It was very inspiring. I hope to do more next year. And, if you can find the time to do all that w/a full time job, maybe there's hope for me after all!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Wow VickiLynn! Two falls and seeing the sights in DC! Was it your first time there? What did you like best? I was there for the first time 2 years ago. I was amazed. There is no way to describe standing in front of the Washington or Lincoln Memorial. I've seen pictures a thousand times and it doesn't really look like anything but when you're there, it is awe inspiring. Wouldn't want to live there but great to visit.

Sorry about your barn but sounds like you've got plans! How big is the wall?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Just read your journal. It was very inspiring. I hope to do more next year. And, if you can find the time to do all that w/a full time job, maybe there's hope for me after all!
Thank you. My family is a big help. Also I have learned to plan-plan-plan. My day-planner looks so funny. I have things like "make bread" and "weed strawberry bed" written-in alongside "staff meeting" and "audit report due".

You'll get there. Just focus on one change at a time and work it into your life.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Wow VickiLynn! Two falls and seeing the sights in DC! Was it your first time there? What did you like best? I was there for the first time 2 years ago. I was amazed. There is no way to describe standing in front of the Washington or Lincoln Memorial. I've seen pictures a thousand times and it doesn't really look like anything but when you're there, it is awe inspiring. Wouldn't want to live there but great to visit.

Sorry about your barn but sounds like you've got plans! How big is the wall?
Yes, it was our first time in DC, and you are right - the memorials are awesome! Everything is so huge! I liked the Lincoln Memorial, but the Jefferson was a close second. I don't know how people deal with that traffic every day, though! We went to Mt. Vernon one day - that was my favorite sightseeing thing.

The barn wall is big (40' x 80'). That would take a lot of dirt to fill for a garden. Also a shame to cover the concrete floor, so it's all still in the "ideas" stage.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Very interesting journal! You are doing so many things I'd like to be doing..........

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, I had to dig pretty deep to revive this old journal! I just needed a place to put my exciting news. My cast iron frying pan is finally seasoned well enough that I can make pancakes without having to chisel them out later! The pancakes flipped right out! Now I can toss my last non-stick pan. :weee

I called my big-city sister with my good news, and she wondered if my toaster was broken. Why didnt I just buy frozen waffles?

I decided not to tell her the pancakes were made with wheat I had ground myself and eggs from my own chickens. Shell never get it but I know you guys do.