Victorian Kitchen Garden

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
~gd - Have you been sipping the eggnog early today? :lol: Or have I just not woken up sufficiently? I have only the vaguest idea of what you are saying here ... and that vague idea tells me that you have gone way off topic on this thread. What, prey tell, has the Queen of England, or "the whole Eat Organic Locally Grown Food movement" got to do with DVDs from the UK?
Now I am going to get another cup of tea, and see about waking up properly ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd - OK, got it. And no worries about the tea; I think it must be flowing in my veins by now, I drink so much of it - a little more won't hurt. :lol:

But I still think you have had a slight over reaction to the series. A number of people here have shown interest because of the gardening methods shown, and because many are interested in "the old ways" of doing things. Quite possibly feeling that, at some not so distant future point, "the old ways" will be good knowledge to have. You are right that the English class system was very much weighted to the benefit of just a few (not just during Victorian times), but that really wasn't the point for people wanting to watch the videos, I don't think.
I also don't follow your thinking about the organic movement. I take it that you don't think it is a good idea for some reason. Whereas I (and I think several others on this board) think that organics is indeed a very good idea. But again, what brought this to the fore? The series (from the little bit that I have watched, and as mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread) is about the Victorian era - a time when the latest scientific discoveries, whatever they might have been, and in whatever endeavor, were all the rage. They weren't interested in the ways of their parents, they wanted the new and improved version of everything. Why use compost if there is some fancy new powder that will do the same thing? Hardly organic.
And your comment about Queen Elisabeth was really very strange - again, the series was about the "Victorian" era, i.e. a different queen. And to say that she (Lizzie) isn't/wouldn't be in the top tier is just plain wrong. The present queen is (or was, last I heard) the richest woman in GB - and, I believe, in her own right, and not based on the treasury of the crown. (Of course, she may have been superseded by the author of Harry Potter by now). But, whatever her wealth and status, this queen is far removed from the Victorians.
In short, its a series about gardening, during a specific time and in a specific place, and as such is interesting for people interested in either gardening or history, or both. It may also be a comment, peripherally, on the class system of England more than 100 years ago, but that is by no means its main focus. It is also not a comment on the Occupy Wall Street movement. So I do believe you have over reacted, and are projecting your own agenda onto an enjoyable video journey into an interesting era of England's past.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
~gd - OK, got it. And no worries about the tea; I think it must be flowing in my veins by now, I drink so much of it - a little more won't hurt. :lol:

But I still think you have had a slight over reaction to the series. A number of people here have shown interest because of the gardening methods shown, and because many are interested in "the old ways" of doing things. Quite possibly feeling that, at some not so distant future point, "the old ways" will be good knowledge to have. You are right that the English class system was very much weighted to the benefit of just a few (not just during Victorian times), but that really wasn't the point for people wanting to watch the videos, I don't think.
I also don't follow your thinking about the organic movement. I take it that you don't think it is a good idea for some reason. Whereas I (and I think several others on this board) think that organics is indeed a very good idea. But again, what brought this to the fore? The series (from the little bit that I have watched, and as mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread) is about the Victorian era - a time when the latest scientific discoveries, whatever they might have been, and in whatever endeavor, were all the rage. They weren't interested in the ways of their parents, they wanted the new and improved version of everything. Why use compost if there is some fancy new powder that will do the same thing? Hardly organic.
And your comment about Queen Elisabeth was really very strange - again, the series was about the "Victorian" era, i.e. a different queen. And to say that she (Lizzie) isn't/wouldn't be in the top tier is just plain wrong. The present queen is (or was, last I heard) the richest woman in GB - and, I believe, in her own right, and not based on the treasury of the crown. (Of course, she may have been superseded by the author of Harry Potter by now). But, whatever her wealth and status, this queen is far removed from the Victorians.
In short, its a series about gardening, during a specific time and in a specific place, and as such is interesting for people interested in either gardening or history, or both. It may also be a comment, peripherally, on the class system of England more than 100 years ago, but that is by no means its main focus. It is also not a comment on the Occupy Wall Street movement. So I do believe you have over reacted, and are projecting your own agenda onto an enjoyable video journey into an interesting era of England's past.
MAYBE you are right about most but note this on her wealth "Elizabeth's personal fortune has been the subject of speculation for many years. Forbes magazine estimated her net worth at around US$450 million in 2010,[163] but official Buckingham Palace statements in 1993 called estimates of 100 million "grossly overstated".[164] Jock Colville, who was her former private secretary and a director of her bank, Coutts, estimated her wealth in 1971 at 2 million (the equivalent of about 21 million today"
Since It seems to bother you so much I have deleted it where possible. If you get a chance see the TV show PORTLANDIA now on Hulu.[Internet site] It had me ROTFLMAO But it might strike too close to home for you.~gd

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MAYBE you are right about most but note this on her wealth "Elizabeth's personal fortune has been the subject of speculation for many years. Forbes magazine estimated her net worth at around US$450 million in 2010,[163] but official Buckingham Palace statements in 1993 called estimates of 100 million "grossly overstated".[164] Jock Colville, who was her former private secretary and a director of her bank, Coutts, estimated her wealth in 1971 at 2 million (the equivalent of about 21 million today"
Since It seems to bother you so much I have deleted it where possible. If you get a chance see the TV show PORTLANDIA now on Hulu.[Internet site] It had me ROTFLMAO But it might strike too close to home for you.~gd
:gig No, please don't delete your comments. I am against censorship, and wouldn't like to see anyone practice it just to try to please me. The content of your comments doesn't bother me in the least, only your putting them forth in a manner calculated to inflame.
You have some good thoughts on a variety of subjects (as I have noticed since you joined the forum). Its a shame (IMO) that you often choose to be argumentative rather than to join the discussion in a way that passes on your knowledge in a helpful way.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
:gig No, please don't delete your comments. I am against censorship, and wouldn't like to see anyone practice it just to try to please me. The content of your comments doesn't bother me in the least, only your putting them forth in a manner calculated to inflame.
You have some good thoughts on a variety of subjects (as I have noticed since you joined the forum). Its a shame (IMO) that you often choose to be argumentative rather than to join the discussion in a way that passes on your knowledge in a helpful way.
My part is/was done early this morning. It appears I can't delete where I was quoted. IF you just don't get it and it caused upset it should go BYE!