Vinegar as weed killer question........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Someone brought this topic up quite awhile ago, and mentioned that there is a stronger version of vinegar available thru chemical supply houses I believe? What is it and where can I can buy it? Any ideas??

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to know about this, too. I haven't had any real luck using store bought vinegar to kill weeds. I must have some pretty tough suckers.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's called Agricultural vinegar and the acid percentage is twice regular vinegar.

I have had better luck with regular vinegar than chemicals in the past, so I am going to try the agricultural stuff this year. Mainly on the pea gravel driveway.

I can get it at the farmer's market in Denver.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This may sound like a strange question, but is there a way to make regular vinegar double-strength? You know...by boiling it down to remove some of the liquid? (Just imagining asking for double-strength vinegar at the feed store & seeing the glazed eyes.) :p

Just askin!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I do not think there would be any *point* in trying to strengthen regular store-boughten vinegar by distillation or boiling, because ag vinegar is not particularly expensive (especially if you are buying a reasonable quantity)

Pat

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I do not think there would be any *point* in trying to strengthen regular store-boughten vinegar by distillation or boiling, because ag vinegar is not particularly expensive (especially if you are buying a reasonable quantity)

Pat
My *point* is trying to find it around here...if no one has it, can it be self-made...? :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Look, it is a pretty common feedstore item, plus which you can even buy small (overpriced) squirt bottles at most garden centers nowadays, at least around here dunno bout *everywhere*...

... but, honestly if you cannot buy it, I would not bother trying to concentrate regular vinegar when just plain boiling water works at least as well.

Won't do a farmer on his tractor any good of course but if you were just going to boil down a quart of vinegar to a pint of ag-strength vinegar, it'd be MUCH simpler simply to boil that pint of water in the first place (or heck, a whole quart <g>) and dump THAT on the plant.

Just sayin',

Pat

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only weeds I really kill are the sharp pokey ones, and plain vinegar seems to do the trick on them. But, I have a recipe for a weed killer that uses vinegar and liquid soap (1 oz. per gallon of vinegar).

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Look, it is a pretty common feedstore item
Not in Colorado. I have yet to find it at any feed store or garden center locally. I accidentally found it when I went with abi to a Denver indoor farmer's market. I have to either pay to have it shipped, bringing the price to around $40 for a single gallon, OR when I visit abi, we swing by the market and I can get it for $20 a gallon.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The formula I use is 1 gallon of regular vinegar add 1 cup of salt and two squirts of dish soap. The two times I have done it in my driveway the weeds have died and not grown back. It does not kill all weeds though.