Vintage manuel powered push mower...how to sharpen blades?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We got an old manuel push mower...like the leave it to beaver kind (no engine). It works but I think a blade or blades need to be sharpened.

Anyone have suggestions?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Great timing! I was gifted one of these from my aunt. She used to live in town and liked to mow about 5-6 a.m., so in the interest of neighbor relations she got one of these rotary mowers :) Ours is dull enough to leave a tuft of grass along the edges. Once when our push mower broke, I finished our 1-acre lawn with this thing :p Would be great to get it sharpened and maybe do even more mowing with it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am under the impression that doing a good job (as opposed to making it better than it was, but still not cutting right) is a bit fiddly and requires somewhat specialized equipment. The problem is that the blades has to cut exactly across the, uh, the thingie it not-quite-rubs-against, in order to do a good job on the grass, so if you get it sharpened in a wavy or uneven fashion it won't work. I know Lee Valley sells a kit for sharpening their push mowers -- you could call and get their advice on whether it'd be likely to work for a vintage model.

Good luck,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Great timing! I was gifted one of these from my aunt. She used to live in town and liked to mow about 5-6 a.m., so in the interest of neighbor relations she got one of these rotary mowers :) Ours is dull enough to leave a tuft of grass along the edges. Once when our push mower broke, I finished our 1-acre lawn with this thing :p Would be great to get it sharpened and maybe do even more mowing with it.
We love ours!! It cost us all of $7.00 at a thrift store. It was addicting once we got started. One of us would push and the other would rake it up. It was a GREAT workout. AND my hands are not numb and my ears were not harrassed. It was such a quiet lawn mowing experience! (We actually LAUGHED and teased while we were in the mowing process. "Last chance work out!" we kept saying when we had to push that bugger up the hills!)

We gave the horses the mowed grass and they were so happy!!

Well, anyway, I went to the hardware store and picked up a file used for sharpening blades like lawnmower, shears etc. I am awaiting a call back from my friend's father who used to own one in the 60's. He is going to walk me through on how to sharpen the blades. I will post the information as soon as I can. The funny thing was that stupid file was MORE than the little mower itself!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That's great! My kids have a blast with it, too, while I'm using the other push mower. If I could get our blades sharpened, though, I would consider using it for a REALLY good upper body workout :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.k. Thanks annmarie, the blades are super sharp now and this little reel mower works great!

I have learned that if you really don't mind a great work out, AND you don't want to rake up the grass (which I find to be a good work out too ;)) just "cross hatch" your yard. Like go vertically the first time and then go over it again horizontally the secnd run. It will mulch up all of those grass clippings.

I recommend a reel mower to ALL. I see them on craigslist all the time. I got lucky and only had to pay $7.00 for mine. I am proudly leaving the price tag on the handle for all to see.

They really do work! And they are especially helpful for workout-aholics like me! Gotta get my fix whenever I can!

PEACE

P.S. as stated above, these reel motors are VERY kid friendly. They can't break 'um, no matter what!