Vitamin B-12 Injection or a Shock, Anyone?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I went to my chiro yesterday for some really sore messed up muscles in my neck/shoulder, we talked about the stress I am experiencing right now, and he recommended a B-12 shot. He said it would help with my energy and coping ability. I said "Sure, why not?" Well, after the shot, I did really experience a boost in energy. Got more work done than I had in quite some time, and today, as well. I don't know how long this will last, but a gal I used to work with got them once a month, I think.
I just wish it would quit raining and dry up. I could plow the garden by hand, I think! lol
Unfortunately, with all that energy, I managed to overwork my sore shoulder/neck muscles, and am almost as sore as I was. But I'm using my TENS unit which feels great. Anyone here ever used one? I think TENS stands for Transcutanial Electronic Nerve Stimulation.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have considered the injections, but never had one. But vitamin B pills are my go-to suppliment when I'm feeling draggy and tired (assuming there's no external reason for it, like not sleeping enough or not drinking enough water). I'm interested in hearing how long the injection lasts!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DianeS said:
I have considered the injections, but never had one. But vitamin B pills are my go-to suppliment when I'm feeling draggy and tired (assuming there's no external reason for it, like not sleeping enough or not drinking enough water). I'm interested in hearing how long the injection lasts!
I'll try to keep aware of it, and post the results, if I can tell. I had been taking SAM-e, but was advised to stop when I was taking another remedy, and now I haven't gotten back on them yet. They work really good for a while, then the effectiveness seems to wane. You need to stop for a while, then start up again, I guess.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like Vit B suppliments. I can't get enough B in my chow, so they really help. I'm glad you had so much energy! Lousy that you worked too hard and it set you back.

We have a Tens ordered, but haven't gotten it yet. We're still pondering an UltraSound unit.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think your doctor plans on giving you that regularly, unless he/she does bloodwork and diagnoses you with pernicious anemia. I used to administer it to some of my patients every month. When my mother was diagnosed with it, she was really bad at first and I had to give her a shot every week for a while and then we went to every 2 weeks, and by the time she passed away, she was only taking it once a month, like most people.
B12 can't be taken orally. Oh you can take it, but it won't work. The B12 tablets you see will only work if you take it sublingually. You must put it under your tongue and allow it to desolve. It must be administered peripherally. It works thru the bloodstream....not the digestive system. There are others in the B complex that can be taken orally, but not B12.
Maybe just make some healthy changes to your diet and life-style and begin taking a multivitamin.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
B12 can't be taken orally. Oh you can take it, but it won't work. The B12 tablets you see will only work if you take it sublingually. You must put it under your tongue and allow it to desolve. It must be administered peripherally. It works thru the bloodstream....not the digestive system. There are others in the B complex that can be taken orally, but not B12.
Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2003 Dec;56(6):635-8.
Replacement therapy for vitamin B12 deficiency: comparison between the sublingual and oral route.
Sharabi A, Cohen E, Sulkes J, Garty M.
Recanati Center for Medicine and Research and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.

Abstract
AIMS: To compare the efficacy of sublingual and oral administration of 500 micro g of cobalamin in subjects with cobalamin deficiency.

MATERIALS AND RESULTS: Thirty subjects with low serum concentrations of cobalamin participated in the study. Subjects were randomly allocated to receive one tablet daily of 500 micro g cobalamin sublingually or orally, or two tablets daily of a vitamin B complex. Serum cobalamin concentrations before treatment were 94 +/- 30 pmol l-1, 108 +/- 17 pmol l-1 and 98 +/- 14 pmol l-1 in the sublingual B12, oral B12 and oral B-complex groups, respectively. After 4 weeks, concentrations rose to 288 +/- 74 pmol l-1, 286 +/- 87 pmol l-1 and 293 +/- 78 pmol l-1, respectively. The increase in each group across time was statistically significant (P = 0.0001, differences [95% confidence intervals] 194.2 (114.5, 273.9), 178.3 (104.2, 252.4), and 195.1 (135.0, 255.2) pmol l-1, respectively). There was no significant difference in concentrations between the treatment groups.

CONCLUSION: A dose of 500 micro g of cobalamin given either sublingually or orally is effective in correcting cobalamin deficiency.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats good, but people with pernicious anemia wouldn't need just the B complex, they would need B12. All those other B's don't need peripheral therapy. Pernicious Anemia lacks the intrisic factor. It won't produce. Most problems relating to B complex aren't as mean.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Thats good, but people with pernicious anemia wouldn't need just the B complex, they would need B12. All those other B's don't need peripheral therapy. Pernicious Anemia lacks the intrisic factor. It won't produce. Most problems relating to B complex aren't as mean.
At one time it was thought that those with pernicious anemia (or those taking proton-pump inhibitor meds) could not benefit from oral B12 therapy. That is no longer the case.
Presse Med. 2010 Dec;39(12):e273-9. doi: 10.1016/j.lpm.2010.03.027. Epub 2010 Aug 12.
[Oral vitamin B12: Efficacy and safety data in 31 patients with pernicious anemia and food-cobalamin malabsorption].
[Article in French]
Troilo A, Mecili M, Ciobanu E, Boddi V, D'Elios MM, Andrs E.
SourceHpitaux universitaires de Strasbourg, service mdecine interne, diabte et maladies mtaboliques, clinique mdicale B, 67091 Strasbourg cedex, France.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study is to validate the efficacy and safety of oral cobalamin therapy in the treatment of cobalamin deficiency related to various causes.

PATIENT AND METHOD: It's a retrospective study, including 31 patients with documented cobalamin deficiency related to food-cobalamin malabsorption (n=20) and pernicious anemia (n=11). These patients were treated at least for 3 months with oral cyanocobalamin, between 125 to 1000microg per day. Serum cobalamin levels and hematological parameters were compared before and after the therapy and in relation with the nature of cobalamin deficiency. Safety data were also recorded.

RESULTS: After 3 months of therapy, the serum cobalamin levels have significantly increased in all the patients, with a mean of +161.679.3pg/mL in the food-cobalamin malabsorption group (P<0,00005) and +136.767.4pg/mL in the pernicious anemia group (P<0,0001). Hematological parameters have been normalized in 90 % of the patients, independently of the cause of the cobalamin deficiency. Only 1 patient presented an urticarial reaction.

CONCLUSION: This study confirms the efficacy and safety of oral cobalamin therapy in food-cobalamin malabsorption and also in case of pernicious anemia.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel qualified to address this as I have pernicious anemia that is controlled with b-12 injections in addition to orally taken intrinsic factor. I have my levels checked twice a year, and if the B-12 falls, I increase the frequency of the dosage until the next blood check. I normally give myself an injection twice a month. I started out with monthly injections which worked, but there were times it fell or remained too close to the low mark, so the doctor suggested an increase to twice a month.

Respectfully, I have to note that both of the studies Denise refers to are very small groups...30 and 31 individuals. My physician told me several years ago that sublingual B-12 is absorbed more readily than oral B-12, but neither have the absorption rate of the injected B-12. After I'd been on the injections for two or three years, the doctor let me try the sublingual B-12, but after a few months my b-12 and iron levels fell again and I went back on the injections I will "stick" with the injections. B-12 is inexpensive and the injections are easy to give.

When I first became aware I was deficient, I had been admitted to the hospital because of a GI bleed. I had a blood count so low that the hospital doctors and nurses were in awe that I had walked in on my own power and checked myself in (didn't drive myself, though), because in their words...most people with a blood count as low as mine (4.3) came in on a stretcher and were already in a coma. The weird thing is that I had seen a doctor for an annual check up 3 days prior to the hospitalization. I had no unusual complaints, except being tired, but since I worked 12-14 hour days on my feet, neither of us were surprised I was tired. I hadn't mentioned the peeling, splitting fingernails because I didn't think about it being a medical symptom. He called the next day to put me on iron and supplements, but didn't tell me at the time that my blood count was at 6.9. Only after the blood transfusions did he tell me that they normally transfuse around 7. He said that because I seemed healthy otherwise, he thought vitamins would fix the problem. Needless to say, I realized he wasn't a very good doctor and found a good one. At any rate, after all kinds of endoscopic tests (upper and lower), no source of the bleeding was found, but it was also discovered that I had an iron count of less than 10, no B-12, and of course, hardly any blood. Several blood transfusions later, I felt fit as a fiddle, but went through all the tests to see if they could find a source of the bleeding They found no evidence of tears or ulcers. One of those mysteries I guess.

I honestly can't tell a difference in my energy level after an injection...it just keeps me feeling normal. One of the symptoms of the deficiency was splitting and peeling fingernails. My nails had always been strong, but in the months prior to the hospitalization, I'd noticed how thin and weak my nails were. In the years since, my nails have returned to their strong, healthy state. I only learned later that is oneof the symptoms of a B-12 deficiency. I never slack off on taking my B-12 injections or the intrinsic factor, which is combined iron and with some other things that promote absorption of the iron. I would never switch to sublingual b-12, but for someone who is just trying to optimize their health and don't have low levels of B-12, it might be all they need.

Jill