Vitamix Food Processor

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone made bread dough in their Vitamix? My parents bought a Blendtec food processor and it overheated when they tried to make bread dough. My mom followed their recipe and their instructions so she is a bit put off that the thing would overheat.

Also, do you have to grind your grains a few times in the Vitamix to get a flour that is like the store bought flour consistency? I ground up Great Northern beans and wheat berries (not together) in the Blendtec and it took running it through 4 times to get the flour consistency to make things with.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't know about the Vitamix because i have a Blendtech. I would never try to mix bread dough in one because of the heat it generates. I do batters and sauces and smoothies mostly. I have ground wheat berries with no problem - I only put in a max of 2 cups at a time and get pretty good results, but not as fine as store bought flour.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How many times did you grind them? I just did about half a cup or so of wheat berries in their blender. Blended it 4 times and I was able to get the consistency of store bought flour with it. But that was just a small amount. I was wondering how it would be if I wanted to do enough to make bread. Most of my bread recipes make 2 loaves and call for around 6 cups of flour.

So your Blendtec has never overheated with what you do?

My parents were disappointed because in the video, they throw in golf balls and different stuff and of course it doesn't overheat.

So you are happy with your Blendtec?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a VitaMix and I endorse it wholeheartedly. Thing cost a small fortune but it was our gift to each other a few years ago and we used it a LOT.

I started grinding wheat and corn in it for baking and it was so much better than the flour from Whole Foods. Way better.

I've since gotten an All-Grain flour mill (craigslist, $60) thinking I'd save the motor on my VitaMix, and the flour in the All-Grain Mill is even better because it is finer and doesn't heat up during grinding. I'd still be using my VM and still be happy with the results if I hadn't found such a great deal on the flour mill.

You can grind 2 cups of grain at a time in one minute in the VM. It does heat up the flour, but I would take the cover off right away and then pour the flour into an open ziploc to cool. I'd have two bags going and alternate which bag I added the freshly ground flour to so it would cool faster. Then I'd store the flour in the fridge (freezer if you don't use it up in 3-4 weeks.)

We use the VM for shakes almost daily in the summer, full-meal shakes, and we actually feel better when we are drinking them. You can put whole veggies, even carrots, and they are completely pulverized.

I would never attempt to make actual bread dough in it, though, it doesn't make sense that it could knead it correctly. I use my stand mixer for that. Used to use my hands, but I need to save them whenever I can.

Oh, and I still crack corn and other grains in my VM for baby chick food or to transition a new rooster into my whole-grain-eating flock.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just to clarify - by overheating do you mean the grain gets warm, or the motor gets too hot and shuts off? I have never had the motor get too hot, but the grain does get warm if I want a fine flour. I figure it doesn't really matter since I'm cooking it anyway. And I do not do alot at one time, maybe 4 cups for the recipe I use the most. I ended up with a Nutrimill too (thanks MIL!) and use it for larger quantities.

Another thought - a half cup might not have been enough to get a good result. Try adding at least a cup to really get the vortex going.

I do like my blendtec, but I have nothing to compare it to

edit, I had to read it again and I think you meant the motor was overheating (sorry, slow brain this morning :p)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, the motor actually overheated. It started smoking and even said that it was overheating. I think my parents think that if they return it and get a Vitamix that they could do bread dough in it. But I really don't see how a food processor would mix dough well. My mom has a mixer so that isn't the problem. I think they just want an item that does all that it claims to do.

The flour did heat up but that didn't upset me. When we saw the demonstration at Costco, the guy ground rice and it got very warm but the blender itself wasn't overheating.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Javamama - do you have any problems with things getting caught when making smoothies? I guess spinach sometimes gets stuck when my mom is making smoothies.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think they just want an item that does all that it claims to do
:D Got it. I never believe that stuff, so my expectations were low. I only ever have trouble with frozen fruit - it sinks to the bottom and gets stuck under the blades. I guess I've never let it run long enough to make it smoke.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Vitamix, it's just more costly. But I still don't think it would do a great job with bread dough.
There is a Blendtec machine that is a blender/mixer combo.

ETA - I have found that the order I put things in makes all the difference. Liquid, then greens. Blend a little, then add the rest of the ingredients and press #4 which is the whole food cycle.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Most flour mills on the market for home use will also heat up the flour, so that is normal. For the most nutrients, you want a cool grind like a stone grinder, but if you are grinding your flour fresh each time, it really doesn't matter. If you grind ahead with a machine that heats the flour, just refrigerate or freeze it. The heating will make the oils in the grain go rancid much more quickly....but remember, you heat it when you cook it, so if you use the flour right away it is not a big deal at all.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just wanted to see how the Blendtec would do with the grains. We are still going back and forth if we even need to purchase one. We have a stone hand grinder. It does take one heck of a long time to grind grain with that (at least to a flour consistency we are looking for). Grain mills are about as expensive as a Vitamix or Blendtec. So the thought was we may as well get something that can do more than grind grain if we are spending the money. I'd probably be better off just watching craigslist for a grain grinder. We really have no interest in making smoothies or anything at this time.

I let my mom know that dough really shouldn't be made in any food processor. I think as far as the spinach sticking sometimes, I think she will just have to stop the processor and move the food around and start it up again.

If I grind grain, it will only be enough to make a specific item. I don't think I will want to keep flour around once we use up all our flour.

Thanks!

Latest posts