Vodka (and other liquor) Question

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My unsolicited advice to you, BB, is stay away from the stuff! :sick It will cause you misery, cost you money, and make you do things you'll regret later.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
And that's only 3 of the minor consequences, KC didn't even mention any of the bad ones like waking up with a $100,000 ugly wife and many more so bad that they can't be written in this forum - actually they can't be written at all because they only use the guttural sounds.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A simple wash can be made by using just sugar and water. Ferment with champaign yeast and that'll get you a high alcohol "wine" at around 17-19% once the fermentation is done.

XPC's right, you can run this through a pot still a few times for a really clean "vodka". A reflux still, that does it's filtering during the distillation process. One thing that was left out is you really should run what you've distilled through activated charcoal. This will help removed even more oils that may have made it through the distillation process.

A simple recipe is as follows,

5 gallons water (filtered or sping prefered)
10lbs of sugar (or i've used two gallons of backstrap molasses)
1 packet of "turbo" champaign yeast. (complete fermentation should be done in 48 hours at the right temps)

If you use a pot still, I agree with xpc, run it two or three times. First time through dump off the first 150ml. That's methanol! NOT good for humans to drink. I add it to my lawn mower myself. Since I use to have a reflux, I never bothered to run more then one time. It's just the nature of how they opperate. I did though make my own charcoal filter to help clean the "vodka".

Other then cutting the methanol out, I never personally worried about sweet cuts, middles, tails or any of that. I mixed it all together. Then I'd order various flaovirings from an online store. Depending on what I was making, I'd cut the nearly pure (est 190 proof) vodka with more spring water. For example, most rums are 30-40% by volume alcohol. Meaning the rest is water. So you need to cut that down, then add flavoring. Of course if you're trying to mimic something like 151 rum, you don't need to cut as much.

FYI, I've since sold all my booze, wine and beer making gear. Needed the cash at the time. But someday I really want to get back into. This time, instead of building a reflux out of a beer keg, I'm gonna go for a M*A*S*H type still using lab glass. But alas, that's not all that important right now.

Jax

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
My unsolicited advice to you, BB, is stay away from the stuff! :sick It will cause you misery, cost you money, and make you do things you'll regret later.
Yes it will :sick

And when someone dares you to eat your lucky charms with milk/vodka don't do it, because trust me.. those little cereal bits of the lucky charms soak up the vodka like nobody's business and then its like chewing vodka :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and its all hilarious until you have to go and milk that goat. the drunker you are the stinkier that dang goat is, believe me.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Funny. But really. What would I be doing drinking vodka?
It's for.. um.. a.. tinctures! Yeah, that's it. Herbal tinctures. :D