Voicepipes and Speaking Tubes

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I would love to install some voicepipes aka speaking tubes for fun.
I know they were used on ships, maybe still are.
I'd even put one at the front door and run it to my desk. Out to the coop instead of using the baby monitor? That would save a small amount of electricity and every little bit helps.

Here's some historical info about them, with pics:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/voicepipe/voicepipe.htm

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You have a baby monitor in your coop?

That is a pretty cool idea! As kids we used the ac ducts to talk to eachother from down stairs in the kitchen to upstairs in my room. Worked great!

mom: "Hey! What do you want for dinner?"
me: "Peas!" :p

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You have a baby monitor in your coop?

That is a pretty cool idea! As kids we used the ac ducts to talk to eachother from down stairs in the kitchen to upstairs in my room. Worked great!

mom: "Hey! What do you want for dinner?"
me: "Peas!" :p
Yes there have been problems with the neighbor's kid and his friends at the coop. Since I placed a lock on the door and pen the egg count is correct and the girls are not wandering around. I mostly have the monitor plugged in when they have parties in the woods. :rant

Every now and then Ebay has the mouthpiece-whistle things for sale.
But if an air duct works, all the better, lol!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
How cool! I never thought of this...I will be watching this thread. Baby moniter in the coop...great idea!:D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
What a cool idea!
I've put a baby monitor in the coop before when I've just integrated a new group with the older birds.
I've also used one in a jack o'lantern. You put the end that picks up noise in the house with you and the end that makes the noise in the pumpkin. When you hear someone coming to the door, voila, talking jack o'lantern! :cool:

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
A baby monitor... hmmm... I've always wanted a way to talk to the chickens without having them in the house. :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neat idea.

My dad worked for the telephone company when I was a kid. He got hold of a bunch of wall mount telephones and installed them. All the bedrooms had one and the kitchen. It was our own personal intercom system. We had fun with them.