Vote to stop NAIS

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes, I saw your post on BYC and it got locked. I was like OMG! I can't believe people aren't worried about it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
why would a post like that get locked?
just wondering.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Could you give a quick explaination if that is possible? I really have no idea what NAIS is?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
In the simpliest way that I can explain it, NAIS is the governments way of keeping track of the livestock you own.

It would mean each of my goats, all 100 chickens, the ducks, and turkeys would all have to be tagged so the government can keep track of them.

It is NOT to stop abuse or protect YOU. It is so the government can at anytime know what you have.

They can jail me first!

The thread was locked because people turned it into a debate and went off topic.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I think I got it...it is another for the gov't to keep track of what we have and make sure that we are not 'stock piling'!! That way they can keep us trapped and take away our rights whenever they want to! Is that it?
They (a gov't agency) just raided a co-op in Ohio and took EVERYTHING!! Even their personal food supply as well as the co-op food supply. All done by a SWAT team!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NAIS is voluntary but some states are making it mandatory...it kinda has loopholes in it though.

like if you have poultry for personal use that never leave your farm other than to go to the processer...you do not have to register them.....if you take them to a sale barn or auction, yup, tagged.

I have 400 chickens and I sell my older birds thru the paper or sale barn....I would have to register them...Hmmm...HECK NO --ain't happening...you catch and tag 400 chickens...LOL....nope, no way. If it became mandatory I believe fines are coming my way..HA HA..or I would just quit the biz.

My hogs, nope---I rarely sell them so I wouldn't have to tag.

my horse if I take it in a trailer and ride at a state park or something, yes....file paperwork every single time I take my horse off property to ride.....

INSANITY

and yes, it is a money maker for them.....we pay for tags, etc. etc.....CAUSE whenever the govt. does something, gee, who pays for it...LOL

NAIS is not worth the price of the paper it is written on! But the government always knows what is best for us, right?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My neighbor would be screwed if he had to do paperwork every time he took his horse off of his property to go trail riding!! He goes like every other weekend...him and his wife...take their huge horse trailer that has a camper in it and go for the whole weekend at a time to different places. He does not strike me as the type to do the paperwork. I think it is always a last minute thing as to wether they even go or not!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
THANK YOU. NAIS is just another fascist intrusion. I work at an Extension office *for now* and I put the huge NAIS display over to the side of the lobby where you might not even notice it.... I had to call the Maryland Dept of Ag to see if those forms were current and the person on the other end of the line said "OH yeah. These aren't going to go away."

It's not only to keep track of the animals. It's because people who KEEP animals have been profiled.... Think about that some.

I also think that it's just a hop-skip before they're saying - oh, let's protect children with a microchip that can track them. The mentally-infirm elderly....so they don't go wandering off. Oh, and how's about developmentally-delayed adults and the other mental "incompetents" - (hmm.....who decides????).

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its already being used on people in Europe. They are using it on certain felons to track their whereabouts when they are released. Like child molestors and if they get near schools, etc.

We had a previous thread on NAIS that provided links to certain sites for and against it.

As for only being for people who sell their livestock off their property....that may be the preliminary mandate in some places, but the plan is to have any and all livestock wear the chip inserts. People with a certain number of one kind of stock can be exempt and use lot numbers instead, but the smaller farmers will have to comply to the microchip insertion and will have to foot the bill themselves. The commercial growers will have government subsidies to help them come into compliance. :rolleyes:

They can penalize you with fines and confiscate or euthanize your animals if one of your livestock strays off your land and you do not have the microchips and haven't filed the appropriate paperwork.

Your neighbor, upon whose land your animal may roam, will be required to file papers about the incident and keep records on his animals regarding the incident~to track possible disease transmission. If your animal was not microchipped at the time, your neighbor may face quarantines and euthanasia of livestock also. This insures that your neighbor will certainly report you if you are not in compliance and incentives are being offered for this reporting. See where this is going? :/

www.nonais.org is one site that will give some accurate info on this government program. BTW, Obama is very much in favor of this program and wants to see that it is pushed through as soon as possible.