Walmart to rid of their plastic bags in CA

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey murph, when you are typing your post, look over to the right of the box you are typing in. There is a line of text that says Smilies [show] [hide]

Click show, put your cursor where you want the smiley & click the smiley. Or you can type them in, colonparentheses gives you :)
Semi-colonparentheses gives you ;) colonyuckyuck gives you :yuckyuck

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
the coolest thing to me though (and one i'm trying to implement here) is that every outlet has it's own switch. that way, instead of needing to unplug the microwave so it's not drawing unnecessary power when it's not being used, you just switch off the outlet. i loved it.

i've not seen these for sale here, but they might be available somewhere in the states
http://www.newzealandatoz.com/other..._with_top_plug_off_and_bottom_plug_on_400.jpg

(sorry for the tangent, i just get excited about this stuff)
You know what' funny?? My Grandparents' townhouse in Philadelphia used to have old switches from the 1930's/1940's and they were almost the same--two buttons for each switch--one button pushed and opened the circuit and the other button pushed in and closed it. They still had them in their home during the 1970's when I used to visit.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts so my apologies if someone has already said this but I do have a system for getting the bags back into the truck.
I simply empty it in the kitchen and hang it on the door knob of the door heading out to the garage. Then the next time I go out through the garage (my usual way out to feed,) the bags are right there to get into the truck. So just put it on the door knob on whatever door you use to go to your vehicle.
I also use the liners on cereal and other foods subsitute for plastic bags.
I don't use the flimsy ones sold in stores- I use canvas or cloth ones- easily found or made. I've use some for fifteen or more years.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PP- those are really nice!

I also get the 'you're crazy' looks at the checkout. I've had baggers either completely ignore the cloth bags I hand them or load everything in plastic then put the plastic bags in the cloth ones :rolleyes:. I just try to use the self checkout whenever possible.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
meriruka said:
PP- those are really nice!

I also get the 'you're crazy' looks at the checkout. I've had baggers either completely ignore the cloth bags I hand them or load everything in plastic then put the plastic bags in the cloth ones :rolleyes:. I just try to use the self checkout whenever possible.
Nope, they'd be unloading those plastic bags and using the bags I brought.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried that once or twice but then the people behind me in line get all crabby. So I tried cashing out then pulling off to the side to repack. When I hand the plastic bags back to the checkout, they act like I just handed over my used undies.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It took me a while to remember to bring my bags into the store too (I kept them in my trunk), so when I forgot I would just ask them to load up the basket again without bags, just like I had it when I was walking around in the store, and when I got outside I just packed the bags myself in the parking lot. They thought I was a little wacky ("You're really sure you don't want bags?"), but I don't care. I also use the doorknob trick for getting the bags back into the car.

If anyone's interested in reusable, consider not using the plastic bags off the roll in the produce section. I have made my own produce bags with cheap, unbleached muslin and a tie at the top, but there are also a lot of pre-made ones available. Here are a few:
http://www.reusablebags.com/store/shopping-bags-produce-bags-c-2_10.html
The ones you can't see through sometimes throw the cashiers off because they can't see what's inside so they don't know what code to enter.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
If anyone's interested in reusable, consider not using the plastic bags off the roll in the produce section. I have made my own produce bags with cheap, unbleached muslin and a tie at the top, but there are also a lot of pre-made ones available. Here are a few:
http://www.reusablebags.com/store/shopping-bags-produce-bags-c-2_10.html
i love that site. they have so much nifty stuff. i want these so bad.... i think i might just go ahead and order them.