Want to make orange marmalade with cranberries. Need low sugar recipe

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello there! I have been making loads of jams and jellies for Christmas baskets, and I noticed a bag of cranberries hiding in the back of the fridge left over from thanksgiving. I would love to make a cranberry orange marmalade. I would like to make a low sugar variety, for several reasons. I have low/no sugar needed powdered pectin. I would use about 3 cups of sugar.

If I follow the cooked fruit amount, can I switch say-a third of the amount with cranberries? Should I strain the cranberries a little so there's not too much juice?

I have looked around the internet for recipes, but they all call for too much sugar. And the recipes that use cranberries and oranges all have gelatin in them, which I don't want. Not looking for a relish or a gel, or even a chutney. Just a treat to go on toast.

If I don't get any responses, I am going to try a straight marmalade recipe and switch a third of the oranges for cranberries. I will use low sugar pectin and 3 cups sugar. I would hate to mess it up and be wasteful, though!

Thanks! :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You don't need to use pectin with citrus fruit, especially when including peel as for marmalade, because citrus (especially the peel) is chock-full of pectin. ;)

But citrus pectin does need some sugar to help it set up, I've gone as low as 3 cups fruit to 1.5 cups sugar and had it turn out just fine, but I don't know if that's too high a sugar content for your dietary needs. And no idea what the cranberries will do to the equation, sorry.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cranberries should thicken up just fine. I make cranberry sauce with fresh orange juice, zest and sugar to taste without any pectin added. I usually make my jams and jellies with the low sugar no sugar pectin so your combination will work beautifully. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Latest posts