1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Pallet Boards - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Wanted Eastern White Pine

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by CrealCritter, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dec 21, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I'm looking to purchase about 1000 Eastern white pine trees to build a log house.

Minimum requirements:

1) Trees must be Eastern White Pine - (Pinus strobus) species.

2) Trees must buck to a minimum of 14" DIB (Diameter Inside Bark) @ 20' 6" on the small end.

3) I will cut, buck, de-limb, load and haul logs back to southern IL.

4) I will pay land owner fair market value base on tonage based on the physical geographic location of the trees.

5) I will pile tree tops, branches and dunage into dozer piles. However I will not remove piles from the property. The land owner might have an opportunity to have the piles chipped for market or soil improvements.

6) Stumps will be cut low to the ground or at ground level, however i will not remove stumps from the ground.

7) Property lines must be clearly marked to avoid encroachment.

More info on identification of Eastern White Pine ---> http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/whitepine

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. Dec 21, 2017
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I know where there's a bunch of white pine, but don't know that they want to get rid of them. The house next to my church has a whole line of them.

How far are you willing to travel?

CrealCritter likes this.
  3. Dec 22, 2017
    CrealCritter

I don't mind travel but I'm in need of a good 1000 EWP trees. I would like it if I could harvest all of them at one place since I'll have to bring a few of my sons with me and rent a feller / skidder / grapple / and a few semi to haul logs back home to southern IL.

I do have a line on a good 10 Acres of planted EWP that's about 30 miles from me. I've got the fish (land owner) sniffing around the hook but he hasn't bit yet.

I'm looking to build something like this but with 9 foot ceilings on the first floor, open truss ceiling on the second. Just a few minor changes to the floor plan, like a big pantry, a root cellar and the family room would be rustic peeled logs with a low open ceiling like a little frontier log cabin.
    http://www.oldvirginialoghomes.com/stone-mountain

It's gonna take a lot of logs and beams.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. Dec 23, 2017
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I know of several white pines in the area, but don't know that there's any one place that has that many. Any EWP around here were planted since they're not a native tree. Our native pines are pitch (Pinus rigida), Virginia (Pinus virginiana), and shortleaf (Pinus echinata).

5. Dec 23, 2017
    CrealCritter

Eastern white is preferred softwood for log homes due to its light weight / natural rot resistance / straight trunk and branches set 1 to 2 foot apart. I'll find what I'm after it's just a matter of time. Thanks for replying :)

6. Dec 24, 2017
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Ummm.....you need a master bedroom on the ground floor. There may come a day that you can't get up those stairs. Are you going to square them off as pictured of leave in the round?

tortoise likes this.
  7. Dec 24, 2017
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Yep - ask me how I know! I figure our days in this house are numbered unless we do a major re-model and put a bedroom and full-bath downstairs. (or a stair lift!)

8. Dec 24, 2017
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

My sister and brother in law are both in not so good health. They have a huge 5 bedroom home, their saving grace is the master bedroom down stairs. There have been times that neither one could make it upstairs.

9. Feb 27, 2018
    CrealCritter

Square & chinked - good points on master downstairs