Wanted: Rose Hips

Lawana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are lots this year. We will work hard to get them picked and dried. I don't know what to charge really. We can figure that out later...maybe you have something you want to trade?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
That would be great! I have no idea what I could trade. Let me know how much you get and we'll figure it out.
Do you know if they are sweet?

Lawana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
They aren't sweet. Tart a d sandy. We only use them dried and added to mullein tea. It makes a wonderful keep well tea. Tastes great with local honey or choke cherry juice. Do you grow or wildcraft any herbs? I could always use spearmint, or sassafras, or rootstock for kudzu to trade. What quantity would you like? They weigh pretty heavy compared to the leafy herbs. A quart of them lasts about a month the way my family of 5 uses it. God bless you!
Lawana

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
What in the world do you want Kudzu for?! Growing up in the south you couldn't pay anybody to have Kudzu!
Tart is fine. I'll probably add them to the catnip tea that I usually brew every morning. I want them for the vitamin C to try to reduce my allergies. I'll take as much as you can spate. I'm wondering if a postal flat rate priority box would be easiest.
I can get spearmint for you, did you want it dried or a curing to root with? A cutting would be easier as our plant has been cut back pretty hard.
I wish I did now things with plants. I have a jar or two of apple butter I could send you. Other than that I knit and sew. I'm trying to get more into the food stuff but that is a slow process of learning!

Lawana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
No worries! I grew up watching Kudzu eat every tree and abandoned building in Northeast Alabama! I AM a bit of a mad (herb) scientist! I have plans to start it in a reinforced container. I want to have a supply for some nutritional studies, I want to do. Yeah...I'm crazy. In my climate, you buy morning glory seeds, plant them and become sad when they don't survive! They'd bore you for simple where I grew up for doing that!

Don't want to run your business, but Allergies, asthma and exzema, I know! I will happily share privately (or publicly of others want to know) how to practically rid yourself of allergies. If catnip is help ing you, you can easily add it to my mixture, as I often add spearmint.

I will send you a box of dried hips when we get done. We had rain last week so we will re evaluate picking this week. They take a while to dry! They are tough and I don't crush them. I feel that keeps more of their value intact.I will keep you updated about the process. When you get your rosehips, you can rethink my sanity and the kudzu request. : )

BTW, It is one of my greatest desires to share my culture, herbal lore, etc. with others. I especially want to help people know how to stay well or get well with what they can access near them, even in urban settings. This has happened mostly one on one, but I will email and facebook folks too. Almost all of the young women in my church can make their own herbal remedies and take care of their little ones with wild herbs now. I am loving it!!!! Before I was awake this morning I got a text from a young mom asking what to do with chokecherries! Yeehaaa!!! They're getting hooked. : )

God bless you!
Lawana

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are, just remember that kudzu is highly illegal to import to some states. If they find it on your property here it's a fine and jail time. They want to keep it out that bad. We've had the invasive story with Himalayan blackberries and scotch broom.

Lawana

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It isn't a federally controlled invasive exotic, that I can tell anyway. I can't find where it is illegal here in Montana. Having grown up with it, I totally understand what you are talking about. I have also been thinking about it as a container plant inside. I read about it and it seems to do well in even diffused light inside (no surprise). I would have to pick any blooms (as the seeds are tiny) to prevent any accidental seeding outside. I would also have to burn any clippings in my wood stove just to be safe. I have been pondering it for some time. Anyone else have any ideas about it?

I know I can't grow it in the ground at all. I imagine our bitter winters would deter it, but I don't want to be the one going down in history for intruducing the weed that ate Montanan!

God bless you guys!

Latest posts