Warm Ground Beef

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH bought a large pack of ground beef today and accidentally left it in the car, under a thick towel for insulation. We found it after it had sat for about 6 hours. The temp on the surface was 64 degrees. Do you think it would be OK to cook and feed to the chickens and cats?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
the chickens could probably eat it as is. :p Mine have cast-iron stomachs....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
the chickens could probably eat it as is. :p Mine have cast-iron stomachs....
I agree with FJ, I give mine all kinds of nastiness :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do what you think best, of course, but I wouldn't discard it out of hand, even to the chickens. If, as you say, the temperature of the meat is not so very high I would be tempted to cook it all to very well done, and freeze what couldn't be used immediately. I am not fond of well cooked beef, but wouldn't want to chance undercooking it in this case, but also wouldn't have too many qualms about eating it, IF it were cooked through. If you or family members have a tendency toward sensitive stomachs, and/or have a chronic illness or immune deficiency though, it would be better to discard the meat (to the chickens ;))

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've eaten so much questionable stuff that I wouldn't hesitate to brown and use it. Whatever finally kills me will not be food poisoning.

You have to cook it to use it which will kill off stuff.

If you are hesitant about it, toss it. It's always better safe.

Chickens should be fine eating it as is. Mine have eaten day old field mice the dog has killed. Dogs also have hefty stomach acid and can even eat rotting food without issue.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, he bought that large package because we are having people over this afternoon, and I am going to grill some burgers. i don't want to take a chance on making our guests sick, so I really don't want to use it for humans. Guess I'll just cook it all up and freeze it, for the critters.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have never cooked "bad" food for the animals, cats, dogs or birds. I've seen what they eat when they find their own snacks and nothing in my house is that rotten!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
We have never cooked "bad" food for the animals, cats, dogs or birds. I've seen what they eat when they find their own snacks and nothing in my house is that rotten!
:lol: