WARNING!!!!! do NOT fly kites near your chickens!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It is such a beautiful day here today, my daughter decided she wanted to fly a kite.

She went into our pasture, and with my help, managed to get a kite flying high like the eagles. The chickens had been clucking around the yard all day, enjoying the mild weather also.

As I was still standing in the pasture watching the kite fly, all of a sudden the chickens started squawking up a storm. I looked over and they were running in a frenzy. One tried diving into our basement window, stood stunned for a second, then ran with another hen under the deck of our pool. The rest were either under the barbecue or in our garage.

I'm still trying to figure out what was wrong with them, andha dh comes out of the shop to check out the noise. He yells to me--"They think the kite is a hawk!"

So dd takes down the kite, and after a bit, the chickens calmed down enough to go pecking about the yard again.

Our rooster started the whole commotion, so it's good to know he's protecting his ladies, but seriously--after we figured out what was up--it was quite funny.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:gig

Well, at least you know he is paying attention

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
I flew a kite once into my neighbors tree about 100 yards away. Never got it back :/
:gig lol--you probaly wish it woulda scared their chickens.
Probably wouldn't work on theirs, they didn't get the brightest of birds. They lost like 17 out of 30 to various predators.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
LOL - good of your husband to figure it out though :)

I discovered last summer that chickens react the same way to ceiling fans, "the great rotary eagle" :p

Pat

chickiemama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:lol: if my son knew how to get on here and read this, i would be in serious trouble...he already likes to climb in the trees next to the run and make loud noises... sheesh