warring with the dear...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bird netting won't stop anything wants to get through it and doesn't care if it touches them. I mainly put it up because 6ft tall was enough to keep my chickens out. They were digging up everything. The dogs went through it twice, but me scolding them made them start watching out for it instead of just blasting through.

I think it only worked on the deer because they couldn't see it and it touched them. I've heard that running a string of fishing line a few feet off the ground works on deer because it touches them and they don't see it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
One strand of electric fencing about 2 ft. off the ground, no baiting it with bad smells or even good ones...they will find the fence, or making it "more visible"...just the one strand of wire. This has worked effectively for us for the past 36 years as we live smack dab in the middle of deer heaven. Never had a deer in the garden, even once. Don't forget to turn the fence back on when you leave the garden each time.

Deer are naturally curious about any new object and will put their nose on it to explore...ZAP! They can jump anything they can visualize but they cannot visualize that one little strand of fence in order to leap it, but will often blunder up against it in the night...ZAP! They are no dummies...they will avoid the ZAP. Trust me on this. ;)
Agree except i use light thin barbless aluminum wire. If the shock doesn't work the barbs won't help, much easier to work with than heavy steel wire~gd

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Bird netting won't stop anything wants to get through it and doesn't care if it touches them. I mainly put it up because 6ft tall was enough to keep my chickens out. They were digging up everything. The dogs went through it twice, but me scolding them made them start watching out for it instead of just blasting through.

I think it only worked on the deer because they couldn't see it and it touched them. I've heard that running a string of fishing line a few feet off the ground works on deer because it touches them and they don't see it.
well i just need something to put on top of my already 6feet high fence.....

and im looking ffor a cheaper solution than the 90 bucks for 1,300 feet of barb wire.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I urge you to go to the hardware store and find the aluminum wire for electric fencing~not barbed wire...not advisable to electrify barbed wire~ and then find the bird netting and compare the pricing for buying both...you'll get an eye opener. Especially if you are trying to cover 1,300 ft of fence line. If you still think the netting is a good investment, good luck getting it strung high enough....

An adult white tail deer can really jump. In fact, the average white tail deer can jump over an obstacle that is not 5, 7, or 8 feet high but 12 or more feet high taller than virtually any barrier deer fence. In fact, to the astonishment of deer control experts, the U.S. Department of Agriculture rates white tail deer as being able to jump 15 feet high.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This is the wire Bee is talking about. (I hope) Good thing about it is that if anything gets hung up in it, it should break. I've seen dead deer that have gotten caught jumping barbed wire B4, and felt so bad for them. You'd need a charger as well as something to hang the wire on, but it's probably still cheaper in the long run.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somehow I missed where the area needing protected was so large. Woops. I'd never even have mentioned the bird netting if I saw that, since I only had to to do 300 ft. Yes, the wire will be much much cheaper for the long distance.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I urge you to go to the hardware store and find the aluminum wire for electric fencing~not barbed wire...not advisable to electrify barbed wire~ and then find the bird netting and compare the pricing for buying both...you'll get an eye opener. Especially if you are trying to cover 1,300 ft of fence line. If you still think the netting is a good investment, good luck getting it strung high enough....

An adult white tail deer can really jump. In fact, the average white tail deer can jump over an obstacle that is not 5, 7, or 8 feet high but 12 or more feet high taller than virtually any barrier deer fence. In fact, to the astonishment of deer control experts, the U.S. Department of Agriculture rates white tail deer as being able to jump 15 feet high.
lol i wasnt sure beekissed....

basically my garden area is 220 feet by 40 feet....

my fence is already 6 feet high... so i was wondering whats the most effective way to increase the height by a couple of feet.... i may look into the electric fencing... i had never even though about it. LOL... guess i will do some research.....

as far as the deer being able to jump 15 feet.... if he can jump that high... then ill make sure to grow seperate patch for HIM he deseres it. LOL

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
This is the wire Bee is talking about. (I hope) Good thing about it is that if anything gets hung up in it, it should break. I've seen dead deer that have gotten caught jumping barbed wire B4, and felt so bad for them. You'd need a charger as well as something to hang the wire on, but it's probably still cheaper in the long run.
WOW cheap.

i would feel bad for the deer normally... but my patience has run thin on wild animals...lol...i dont hunt either... i just think that wild animals should indeed eat in the "wild".... but anyways...

how many strands would you guys suggest running??????

im totally new to electric fences...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
One strand...about knee high. That only.
Again agreed, My property line fence was 8ft welded fence ( woman before me had goats and here you are not allowed electrical fence naked to the public) I would wake in the morning to see the deer grazing everywhere except the garden. Even when the deer were jumping the 8 ft to get out they avoided cutting thru the garden.
Beside the wire, consider a cheap ~$15 fence charger and and a cheap fence tester, You will need a metal ground stake [rebar works well] and stakes to support the fence. Bamboo plant stakes can be made to work but many places have plastic sticks that work better, they have a spot to step on to get in the ground and plastic things at different levels that your wire just snaps into. The whole fence can be done in 1/2 day with a few beer brakes. String your wire, locate your power source, battry or outlet. close pound in your ground stake and WITH HEAVY WIRE connect the terminal marked ground to the ground stake. The heavy wire is in case of lighting strike you want that to get to the ground fast not through the wiring in your building. Connect the fence to the terminal marked fence and turn it on. Use your tester hang from fence other end in the dirt. Cheap testers usually have lights that come on when the fence is working. after start up it should be checked from time to time.