washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
ducks4you: LOL. I am in full agreement that, in the end, what matters is what gets the chores DONE.

If handwashing means they stack up until you are eating off napkins, for goodness sake use the stupid dishwasher!!

:D

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
If handwashing means they stack up until you are eating off napkins, for goodness sake use the stupid dishwasher!!
:D
Yep... this is what would happen at our house... so we use our dishwasher. I love that it takes me 5 minutes to load it, I push a button and can then take the dogs for a walk, feed and water the chickens, and hang a load of laundry on the line... all while the dishwasher does the dishes for me :)

I really don't care which uses less water (we don't pay for water, we're on a well)... I care that I HATE doing dishes by hand, and that I can do other things while the dishwasher runs.

(For the record I think that the dishwasher uses less water than I did washing by hand... I've let it drain into the tub I used to use and it barely fills one tub... I used two tubs for doing the dishes by hand)

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to use ours, heck I was so excited to buy my own house and then a dishwasher!!!! Then one day I was inside working while it was running and it was really annoying.. the noise I mean... and it kept going ON AND ON AND ON... pretty soon I noticed that over an hour later, it was STILL RUNNING... albeit at the end of it's cycle, but with the lower water pressure and heating time it just took forever to finish.. I couldn't believe that I had been relying on this thing to do what I could in 10 minutes. So I stopped using it... then used it to dry dishes.. then tried to run it on a rinse cycle to remove the water that drips from the drying dishes and it died... I had to bail the water out with a cup... and I didn't get it all and got distracted... someone closed the door and I forgot... the smell erupted a few days later... mold colonies moved in.. blah blah blah.. lots of cleaning & some bleach spray and now it's fine and remains unused.

sooooooo... it sits unused, I believe it is basically useless and I think I'm going to remove it and gain some cabinet/storage space.

This year I now have a sink outside... it's on the other side of those tomatoes there behind the lattice... I collect the water in a bucket and use it in the garden. For those of you who think washing dishes is comforting? Wait till you get to do it at sunset, watching the chickens frolic with the smell of honeysuckle and ripe strawberries filling your nose. Washing produce is now AWESOME and I never have to do it in my hot stuffy house if I don't want!

100_4139.JPG

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
DawnSuiter said:
For those of you who think washing dishes is comforting? Wait till you get to do it at sunset, watching the chickens frolic with the smell of honeysuckle and ripe strawberries filling your nose. Washing produce is now AWESOME and I never have to do it in my hot stuffy house if I don't want!
That's cool!

I'm a hand washer, that is just what I grew up doing and I could never justify using a dishwasher. Every once in a while, though I think about the time I could save to do other things if I had a dishwasher. But so far I still haven't justified a dishwasher.

Latest posts