Washing line stiffness

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I wonder about the issue of putting borax into the septic system for years. I know it is toxic but is it enough of a level to build up to a problem?
For all I know my purchased laudry soap has as much- I was just curious if any ever read anything about this?
I don't know for sure about the Borax, but I would be willing to bet that commercial laundry soaps, which are full of petro-chemicals and all other kinds of unsavory additives, would by far be the greater of two evils as far as that goes. I personally will take my chances with the Borax, unless I come across any information otherwise...I would be interested to hear if anyone else has read anything about that, as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Use mild detergents or baking soda, borax, vinegar or rubbing alcohol rather than the stronger and potentially system-damaging chlorine and commercial household cleaners.
I got this quote from a website about septic systems and how to care for them, if this helps. I have heard that the lower sudsing detergents are much better for the septic system, as well.

http://rps.uvi.edu/CES/SEPTIC.overview.htm

Link to this site, if you want to check it out!

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When line drying, stiffness on clothes and towels does not bother me one bit. I can think of a million other things more important in this life besides that. :D

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did not mean to make light of the subject. Actually, this is something that I hear people say a lot when mentioning hanging clothes on the line. They complain about the stiffness, and some say they will not hang clothes on the line because of this. How did we get this spoiled?
:idunno

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
We got spoiled by having really soft towels, toilet paper and clothes-lol.
It's like a hot shower- to me that is a great luxury. It's not that I can't live without it but, having known it, I really want it.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We are a split household...the DH doesn't mind most clothes on the line...ok, less clothes, lol. He is ok with t-shirts and sheets, but his underwear, jeans, and socks he prefers not to be stiff. I personally could care less!! lol... I like the scratchy towels, it seems to (as was said before) exfoliate, and the smell is heavenly! Anyway, he has learned to live with it, when he sees how it saves on the electric bill, lol

To me, hanging clothes on the line is almost theriputic (sp).

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
It's like a hot shower- to me that is a great luxury. It's not that I can't live without it but, having known it, I really want it.
Not to totally deviate from the topic at hand, but your comment gave me flashbacks! LOL

After Hurricane Katrina, we didn't have electricity for a couple of weeks. The cold showers were the WORST!! I remember that--bracing myself. Sort of gritting my teeth and getting through it as quick as possible. Then going to work with wet hair cause I couldn't dry it.

Our little boy was the only one who got warm baths. He was just about to turn two at the time. We had a big plastic pan that we'd fill with water and leave it outside during the day. We bathed him in the pan on the back porch every evening. He thought it was awesome. He didn't miss having electricity at all!

Cassandra

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
An easy and cheap solution re: hot showers for those of you with sun enough is a camp shower, which is just a large plastic black bag with a shower head. You leave it in the sun for awhile and, voila, hot shower- sometime too hot.
For me, usually not enough sun.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Not exactly- more like a black vinyl bag with a short hose and shower head attached- it has a handle to lift it. I used to use it when I went camping- put it on top of the truck roof to get hot. Held 5? gallons- anyway enough for a shower with hair wash. Cost about $8-10 then.
I have found it at camping, sport and KMart type stores.