Water Bath Canner vs Pressure Cooker/Canner

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
I've got another canning question . . . If you have a Pressure Cooker/Canner for canning things with meat in them, can you also use it as a Water Bath Canner, or are there reasons to have one of each? I understand they do different things, but If I'm able to accomplish both with one piece of equipment, it's much less for me to store in the kitchen.

Any recommendations for the best Water Bath Canners? I'm trying to find as large a one as possible. It would be great to be able to process 18 quarts at a time. The best I've found doing a quick search on the internet is this smaller model. I'd love to hear recommendations from the canning experts out there. Alternatively, I'd be using this Pressure Cooker/Canner if it can do both jobs. Thanks!

John

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello again John,..
My pressure canner is a presto and it can be used for a water bath canner also. Although I choose not to. I just bought the biggest water bath canner I could find,...oh, and I bought it a Wal-mart. :hide Just and old black speckled enameled canner,..nothing fancy, with a rack.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It can do both jobs....just don't buckle the lid down or fit it on tight when you are doing the water bath canning in it.