Water Bath Canning Tomatoes Question

CindyJeann

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am canning tomatoes and I read a processing time online for 15 minutes. Since then I have seen times for tomatoes... 15 minutes for pressure canning and 45 for water baths. I was wondering if the 15 minute water bathed tomatoes that have a good seal are ok?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For water bath, tomatoes are definitely 40 minutes. I'd re-process them for safety.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's not just the seal that is important here. The processing time is to destroy any bacteria that may be present in the product that you are canning. When it comes to home canned products do not cut corners. Process for the exact time and use the proper method. You already have done the work to get the product into those jars and when you open them up you can rest assured that your beautiful home canned tomatoes are safe to eat.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does your salsa recipe include vinegar, lime juice, or some other acid? "Pickled" things need a shorter processing time due to the higher acid content. Tomatoes need a longer processing time because they are borderline acidic.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I add some vinegar to my tomato sauces just to make sure they are acid enough because of the borderline issue. Then I process for full time. My life just isn't worth shortcuts in time to me.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It depends on whether you're doing pints or quarts also. I can't remember off hand, but a good canning book would tell you.

CindyJeann

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well... I processed my tomatoes with 1 Tbsp white vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt per pint. Does that make a difference in how safe they are?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CindyJeann said:
Well... I processed my tomatoes with 1 Tbsp white vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt per pint. Does that make a difference in how safe they are?
That's standard :)

It's recommended to add vinegar OR bottled lemon juice (lemon juice changes the flavour less) OR powdered citric acid to tomatoes to ensure acidity when water bath canning.

But you still need to process for the recommended length of time.

I only asked about extra acid in the salsa recipe because the amount of vinegar or lime juice added to salsa recipes is much more than when you can plain tomatoes or tomato sauce.