water storage tote question

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have the chance to purchase a 200 and some odd gallon plastic water tote with the metal cage around it. I was wanting to be able to store water for my garden and possibly to water my animals or even us if we had to. The guy said it had latex resin in it and it is non-toxic. I havent found anything about toxicity if I decided to use this tote for holding water for human consumption. Hes asking $60 for it and it is close bye. I have seen someone selling "food grade" totes but hes over an hour away and his cost more. Any thoughts of safety on the one that held the resin?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't have a problem with using it for garden water, although I know that there are some that will disagree. I would not use if for potable water, though. If I were going to store potable water, I'd opt for the food grade even if it were more expensive and further away.

I have two 375 gallon totes that had contained iron oxide, that was used to make dye, It's supposed to be non-toxic, but all that I use it for is a backup system for toilet flushing. Even then I have a check valve, and two ball valves to ensure that it doesn't back up into my home water piping. For drinking water, I'd err on the side of caution.