Water!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
On Monday, my hubby went to use the bathroom, only to find out that we had no water. I had some water in a 5 gallon jug, so that was used to flush the toilet. And, b4 I left for work, I tape a note on the toilet lid to let the kids know.

OH is working a lot of overtime right now, so he didn't get home until around 7:00 pm. He had borrowed a pump primer from someone, and we spent the next couple of hours trying to get the pump going. We had no luck at all. So, neither of us were able to get a shower b4 going to work.

Tuesday, I had 2 doctor's appointments. And, since I work on a horse farm, they kind of appreciate it if I don't come in smelling like a barn. I have a portable shower that I use when I camp where there's no facilities. So, I heated up some hot water, and was able to get a shower out where I have my horses b4 heading out. My husband had planned on trying to get off of work early, and have our son help him get in a new pump. I got home at shortly after 7:00 pm. No one else was home. I fed the animals, came up w/enough water for them, and went in the house. It wasn't too long after that that OH got home w/a new pump.

This house was built in '78. So, that's how long the pump has been in place. We had trouble getting it all apart. Finally, around 10:00, everything was off, and put on the new pump. Get it all hooked up, and start trying to prime it while hoping and praying that it's not the well. We finally get water! But, we were having some problems w/the pump. And, after working on it until 2:00 am, OH decides that it's ok for now, and he'd finish adjusting it Wednesday when he gets home from work. Wednesday morning, we still had water, he got a shower, and went to work.

Wednesday was a warm, wet, rainy day. And, there was quite a bit that needed to be done where I work b4 Saturday for a fun show. So, when it wasn't raining, we worked on that. When it was, I cleaned stalls. I didn't get done until around 3:30. Then, I went to the farm where I have my horses and chickens and did some more work. I got home at around 6:30. First thing I did was go and feed my animals. I go to get some water for the bunnies, and hear the pump running. My daughter was home, but it didn't look like she was in the bathroom. And, I was just barely able to get enough water to fill the water bottle up. I walk in the house, she's not in the bathroom. Nor did she just get out. I go downstairs and check on the pump. It's still running, is hot and there's some water on the floor. I turned it off. My hubby comes home. We were able to get it going good enough to fill up a 5 gallon jug, but he didn't want to try and do more, especially since it had a leak in it! So once again, neither of us got a shower.

Thursday, one of my son's friends came over. He's a union plumber. My hubby wasn't too impressed because, according to him, the plumbers in this union don't know what they're doing. But, he and my son took off the pump, took and back, and got a new one. I had a ton of stuff I was planning on doing out at the farm, instead I came home. This time I brought my shower w/me. I was going out to dinner that night w/a couple of friends I hadn't seen in years, and had no desire to go dirty. They got the new pump on, and tried to get it going. They had no luck. The friend said we needed a new well. Oh great! Just what we don't need. :/

I heated up some water on the stove, and got my shower. Then, I left for dinner. I took w/me a load of clothes and stopped at the laundromat on my way home from dinner. When I got home, I threw the clothes in the dryer. Hubby was once again messing w/the pump. So, I got changed and helped him. He said that there was some things that needed to be adjusted on the pump that the boys hadn't done. He had them adjusted, but needed an extra pair of hands to do it. So, once again, we start trying to get the pump working. And, we did! Finally, around 12:00, he decides that everything is going good, and we go to bed. We still have water this morning. But, as a precaution, I'm turning OFF the pump b4 I leave! Until we know for sure that there's not going to be a problem, we're NOT taking any chances!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
uggg!!! Your story really makes me appreciate my city water. But yet they charge me $85 per month just to bring it to my door. That's not even cost the of the water.

Do you think you should fill some larger storage barrels as emergency back up? Juat in case.

g

Denim Deb

Reaction score
TanksHill said:
uggg!!! Your story really makes me appreciate my city water. But yet they charge me $85 per month just to bring it to my door. That's not even cost the of the water.

Do you think you should fill some larger storage barrels as emergency back up? Juat in case.

g
I had 2-5 gallon containers for just in case. My hubby thought I was nuts. He doesn't think so now. And, the pump is working fine! So, hopefully it's all good. I don't even want to THINK about how expensive it would be to put in a new well.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's the WORST feeling, turning on the faucet & nothing coming out! Our pipes froze several times last winter, it was so cold & southern houses aren't that well-insulated...anyway, what a sinking feeling!! (no pun intended)

Glad it's fixed now...!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Now I need to go and do some laundry, but I'm too beat! And, I HAVE to do it tonight. I have a fun horse show to do tomorrow, and have nothing to wear. :/