Watermellon Recipes?? Just brought home 225 overripe mellons- HELP!!!!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Just brought home 225 overripe mellons- Need recipes asap.
I am feeding mos to my chickens, But some I would love to use myself if possible.....

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made watermelon jelly with some of ours, it is really good. You could also make watermelon wine.
Sorry that is about all I can think of. I thought of more, watermelon ice cream.
Nancy

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This watermelon promotional site has loads of recipes. www.watermelon.org

Watermelon Candy (this may have come from this site)

Makes about 2 1/2 cups of candy, depending on the size of the melon.

1 small watermelon washed
1 Tbs sea salt salt
2 Cups granulated sugar, plus more for coating
2 Cups water, plus more for cooking
2-3 sprigs fresh mint leaves
Cut the watermelon into 4 to 6 wedges. Remove the pink flesh and set aside for eating later.

Take each rind wedge and scrape as much pink flesh away from the white as possible and peel away the green outer skin. Youll be left with the white part of the rind. Cut into chunks.

Place all the cut white rinds into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. A pink-orange foam will float to the surface. Drain and rinse the rinds.

Clean out the saucepan. Place the rinds back in the pan and cover with water. Add the 1 Tbs salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.

Clean out the saucepan. Dissolve 2 Cups of sugar in 2 Cups of water, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the mint. Add the rinds. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until softened, but still firm. Drain the rinds from the syrup, reserving the syrup for other uses if you wish.

Simmer the rinds in syrup

Line a baking sheet with parchment, and sprinkle sugar over the parchment. Scatter the drained rinds across the sugar. Dry in a 250 degree oven (stirring occasionally) for about 2 hours, or until they are slighty tacky on the outside and hold their shape. Cool partly and roll in sugar to coat. Store finished in a jar of sugar syrup.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Watermelon popsicles, watermelon candy, watermelon fruit leathers. Watermelon flavoring, watermelon sherbet...that's all i got. I am getting a truckload tomorrow as well :th Keep the ideas coming ya'll!! :lol:

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just made watermelon jelly! Yummy! I was asking if it was possible to make the jelly without the pectin so you have a syrup for watermelon margaritas, not sure if it's safe to can though!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
PR Pot Roast

1 four pound bone-in roast

Adobo:

12 cloves garlic
powdered oregano.......oh, wait, you said watermelon recipes.....quick, go get a pig and let him have at it on that pile of watermelons once you make what you want! Then come back for the roast recipe! :lol:

How about watermelon wine?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Just brought home 225 overripe mellons- Need recipes asap.
I am feeding mos to my chickens, But some I would love to use myself if possible.....
Holy cow. Where'd you get that many?!?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW that is literally a ton of watermelon. Lucky chickens. :D

My aunt makes yummy watermelon rind pickles.

I think you can freeze some chunks and use later in a slush/sorbet sort of thing.

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
freemotion said:
PR Pot Roast

1 four pound bone-in roast

Adobo:

12 cloves garlic
powdered oregano.......oh, wait, you said watermelon recipes.....quick, go get a pig and let him have at it on that pile of watermelons once you make what you want! Then come back for the roast recipe! :lol:

How about watermelon wine?
:yuckyuck